July 18, 2013

Ramadan Commercials

When Ramadan rolls around each year, along with a new crop of television series along come a fresh batch of commercials. It's like the Superbowl is in the US, but it goes on all month long. You start to get sick of some, for sure but there are some that are nice and some that just drive you nuts. Here are my thoughts on some of the popular Ramadan ads this year.


Mountain View This one, I like and laugh at it every time. It's a new mini city on the outskirts of Cairo, that honestly, looks really nice. The Ad   <--- here on youtube depicts a guy barbecuing, seemingly in a park, then it pans out that he's in the middle of a round about or something and some dude thinks he's selling food.  The idea is if you live in Mountain View Hyde Park, you can grill in the park like they do in California! The guy on the bike cracks me up when he's like What eh?? Khalas!

Vodafone Share  It took me a minute to realize they were saying Share. It's pronounced more like sheer in the ad but I guess that's just the arabization of the word. Mohamed Mounir sings over little clips of pure Egyptianess and how we share everything. I really love it and think it's really cute and heartwarming.


CocaCola  This one I liked at first but now I'm getting sick of that song. I like the imagery and the idea. You know they're saying lets all be united and not divided after recent events. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it's Cairokee singing?

Birell I don't get this one at all. There's a whole series of different ones with horoscope signs and they're at a costume party. Someone please explain this to me.

Maxibon This ad is funny but getting annoying. Yahbal...Khod Feshar! I saw a thing on FB comparing this ad with Egypt, saying the lion is the army, the guys eating the ice cream are the people and the guy in the middle the brotherhood. Heh. Propaganda or over analyzing? I like the sandwich side better for the record.

Pepsi/Chipsy For this commercial, they had a teaser for several days until they revealed the end of it. It's kind of nice. I know that a lot of the elements are about Ramadan shows and personalities from people's childhood but I'm sure it didn't have the same effect on me as it did people who grew up here. They even brought Fouad El Mohandes back from the dead.

Galaxy There's one where this woman buys a box of Galaxy Jewels chocolates and hands it to some guy working on the street. He then takes one and passes it to another person and so on until it comes back to the original woman with one chocolate left. That that I say one thing. YEA RIGHT! We all know that IF someone were to give away a 60le box of chocolates to some random person on the street, they'd take it home, end of story.  The one with the check out girl is believable but this one, pshh.

Cadbury Speaking of chocolate, the one with the Cadbury bus is cute. Would have been better if they were on regular bus or at least one with air conditioning because the way they're passing around that chocolate without a wrapper, you know that would have melted already.

Cottonil I hate this commercial. It's really annoying and lame and I hate that it's catchy and I found myself singing it and was like NOOO WHY!? Who likes this commercial? It's dumb.


Universal This started out as a teaser where we didn't know what the ad was for. It was just Ahmed Ezz talking to himself. Well it certainly got everyone wondering. The rest of it was a let down. An oven? Really?

The rest of it is either too boring or unimaginative to mention or it's one of those guilt trip donation ads.  Oh and there are new PSA type ones about second hand smoke. A step in the right direction. How about PSAs on littering? That'd be good.

Well that's all I have to say about that. Have you seen these if you're in Egypt/dish/youtube? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. There is one from Audi that just drives me crazy on all the time now here. A guy is driving his nice Audi and picks up an old man in a sandstorm and then they both remember when the guy was young and the old man was his teacher. And then when he gets out hes all like shukrah Ahmed and hes like shukran Mualliam. I don't know but I hate that one lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, what are the chances?

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!