May 10, 2013

Disney's Merida Make-Over



So a friend on Facebook posted this article and I'm pretty pissed about this.  At first glance you might think it's not a big difference but really, they have changed a lot.

First of all, when my kids and I went to see Brave in the theater last summer, I was so happy to see that Disney had created a princess that was an independent girl who rescues herself. She wasn't all about landing a man or worried about her looks. She was fierce and well...brave.

What kind of message is Merida's new look sending to girls? Just look at all the differences made.
(open image in new tab to enlarge)


Merida was a tomboy. Not some glamour girl. She was beautiful as she is in the film and didn't like the fancy dress, even. The biggest thing is they took away her bow and arrow! Why? Should a pretty princess have no need for such weaponry? There was no need to sexualize her image when she was a realistic teenage girl. Not cool Disney! What do you think? 

Sign the petition here.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know about it but it's ridiculous, why did they have to change how she looks? I hate the way all those princesses look, they're so fake and over sexualized looking, just like Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something about her being "inducted" as a princess at Disney or whatever but apparently many of the princesses are re-done from the original look in their films. I think kids want to see the image they've grown to love from the movie they probably watched a hundred times.

      Delete
  2. I liked her much better before.
    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, she was adorable and unique!

      Delete
  3. As a mom of young daughters, this disgusts and frustrates me to no end. Why does the media ALWAYS have to over-sexualize EVERYTHING??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, notice how different a lot of characters are from when we were young. Strawberry shortcake, Care Bears, hell even My Little Ponies have bedroom eyes!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe this, I thought Disney finally got it right, then they go and change her! ):
    I want someone real that my daughter can look up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it's really disheartening.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!