April 8, 2013

No One Ever Said It Would Be Easy

Been a while since I had a good vent here hasn't it? I think it's something all moms go through. A rough patch every so often. Times when I just want to get away. Can moms run away from home?  It just gets to be too much sometimes. Can I rant for a bit?

Kids are noisy, as a rule. It's near non stop bickering around here lately. Throw in teen attitude and whining from all sides and you have yourself a headache. . It's hard to get them to help out around the house. I am not above bribery. However, with that, you have set a precedent, and doing something just to be nice and help out old mom becomes a rarity. Children are sometimes very selfish creatures to be quite honest.

I really think kids see mom as this thing, that is simply there to serve them.

Mom, I can't find my socks.
Mom, where are the batteries?
Mom, what's for dinner?
Mom, can you iron this?
Mom, I'm hungry!
Mom, what time is it?!

Everyone in this house can read a clock but I guess it's easier to just ask The Mombot.

Then bedtime rolls around and you think you'll get a little peace and quiet but the little buggers Just. Won't. Go. To. Sleep. JUST GO TO SLEEP! Stop giggling and talking right now because I'm about to lose it! All day long you hate each other and now you want to chit chat?! By the the time they finally give in and lose consciousness, you're ready to go to sleep and you skip getting lost in a movie or a book. You wake up the next day and struggle to get them to wake up and get ready for school, and start it all over again.

There comes a point where you just feel spent. You have no more to give and you'd like just a little appreciation once in a while.  Don't get me started on the teenaged ones. I won't go into a lot of details to protect his/her privacy but damn, I never knew how much an eyeroll could hurt. That your own baby could grow up and give you looks that could kill. It really hurts. But no one ever said it would be easy.

Disclaimer:  Make no mistake, I love my kids to the moon and back!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Mona, your post made me laugh out loud and fearful at the same time. I am already struggling with attitude and she is only five years old. What does that mean for the future?? Makes me want to bottle up the kids and keep them this age forever lol.

    And I totally get where you are coming from about wanting to run away. Children of all ages can be so tiring. Non-stop. Raising kids is just plain hard sometimes.

    Just today my mom reminded me that Jannah is hard to attain, even though it is "just beneath a mother's feet".

    Hope it gets better for you soon.

    May Allah make these beautiful little creatures {read: annoying little brats} a source of sadaqah jariah for all of us and the sakoon of our eyes. Ameen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ameen to your duaa, Glad you had a laugh and it's not just me!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, I agree with "mombot" I forget my mom has feelings. Could you believe at my sisters and I being 19, 17, 15 It's still the same "Mom do you know where this is?", "Mom did you wash this?", "Mom I need money!!!!"

    You're not alone haha! It only goes downhill as they get older. They'll tell you "You think I'm a baby?" but still want you to do everything for them like babies. As for the attitude, oh us daughters have it out for our moms. I'm not sure why but the dynamics have always been interesting. We can get very catty.

    But you're a very cool woman. Let them see more of the cool side they don't see too often because your busy being mom. I mean, honestly. I've never seen my parents "cool" side (God forbid they can crack a joke) and it would've helped me "normalize" my parents if I saw that. Trust me, it'll help with them being much kinder and more helpful. More love comes out.

    I hope this helped, lol I dont know it's just a daughters perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to get the different point of view. I'm totally my self with them and they see all my sides but I guess to them I'm still mom. Hopefully one day they'll realize just how cool I am ;) Lol, thanks.

      Delete
  3. I just laughed out loud at the mombot. My new constant phrase seems to be "I am not your nanny" I hadn't realized I was saying it so often until she came up to me one day and said "I picked up my toys because I know you are not my nanny" I have been reading a book called Have a new kid by Friday and I am loving it, it has tips and techniques for kids of all ages and they really do work. And yes I love my daughter to bits but sometimes I want to run away too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that is hilarious! I gotta look that book up! I've read How to Talk So Children Will Listen, and Listen So Children Will Talk. It's good but it's been a few years, I need to re-read it. Today my mombot role was put to a new level. Dawood asked me to iron his shoe laces. No lie.

      Delete
  4. Love the mombot...I will be saying this to my boy's x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same about the mombot. We're not servants! I feel like a tourguide for my family in their own house...
    I love my kids but sometimes I want to scream!
    And I hate screaming and ask them nicely but they never do anything until I scream then they get upset that I screamed...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!