April 17, 2013

Borio, The Poor Man's Oreo, And What Corporations Don't Want You To Know


For years I've thought it was hilarious that Egypt's answer to Oreos was Borios. Borio, kinda like an Oreo but boring! You could buy Oreos but they were hella expensive, imported from America and all. Now there's an affordable pack of 6 that are made in Saudi. Here's a side by side comparison between Oreos and  Borios.



The color difference is  the biggest thing but to be honest, the Saudi Oreos aren't so dark because they're more chocolatey, more on that later.

My assistant, Dawood held them so you can see the difference in the cream and thickness.


Here you can see the circumference and the cream. The Oreo cream is definitely superior in texture, taste and quantity.

The taste test revealed that the cookies actually taste very similar. This is largely due to the fact that the Oreos sold here, made in Saudi? They're not the same as the ones in the US. Scandalous  I know! I know that Oreo taste and these just don't have it. These are way better.

The other thing is that I highly suspect these Oreos contain some food coloring to give them that dark chocolatey look. I know this because of, well...lets just say, I received reports of the effects of said food coloring on excrement. And well, that just doesn't happen with real cocoa.

I find it really, disturbing that this and many other products in the Middle East are of a lesser quality and under the same brand name. This is true for lotions, diapers, hair products, and many other items. Why is that? I guess when you don't know the difference it's all the same to the corporations. Use cheaper materials and the consumers are none the wiser. They think they're getting the real deal, a genuine American product.


In the end, this isn't me complaining about cookies, but the principle of the matter. Why do we get the crappy version? What do you think?

13 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to compare ingredients as well. Do they still use hydrogenated oil in them? Its too bad companies can label a completely different product the same as one sold elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm gonna google it.

      Delete
  2. this is such a cute post :) and yes! I totally agree with you... unfortunately 'we' lash out on the western products, tell muslims (in particular) not to buy them, but fail to produce anything of equal or better quality... unacceptable! why do we fail to produce anything that tastes as good as or even better than the western originals? is it like re-inventing the vehicle? or could it be improving an existing product, or forming one that is even better... i think it's because 'we' try to imitate existing products with cheaper low quality ingredients/materials, then market it at similar or even higher prices... go kiss my #^$^**... tastes like crap, looks like crap, but you want me to pay extra just cos you are muslim? hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, in the US and the west in general, companies are always trying to improve the products to make them better. Here everyone just have low standards and nothing works or is efficient. Foil or tape or garbage bags or paper towels. All the local stuff is crap.

      Delete
  3. hihiih the name is funny.
    Maybe you can try to make something similar yourself.
    I bet they will taste even better than the real deal.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH, I was gonna link my "faux-reo" post but I forgot. I edited the post since you reminded me. Check it out. http://mamamona.blogspot.com/2011/07/faux-reos.html

      Delete
  4. We do not have Borios here in Saudi lol but my son always does get the small packs of Oreos for lunch and nope they do not taste the same. Also the coke here is gross and Hersheys bars :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it very interesting! I also think the same is funny.
    I've never been to the middle east, only Turkey and they produce foods there under the same brand name as there are in the US but I like the Turkish versions better (of the ones I've had which aren't many because I'm in Turkey and 'need to try Turkish food' because I can 'eat that at home'). But, Turkey was also trying to get into the EU and I think they are trying to have the same standards for certain things the same as the EU, they've even put allergy warnings on the food packages now.

    I'll use the fanta soda as an example, because that's what I remember the most. The Fanta orange soda here in the US is sickeningly sweet. I can't stand it! The one in Turkey isn't as sweet and has actual orange juice in it and (the last time I was there and checked) it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup. I've heard that about the European version as well.

    You should compare the ingredients between the Saudi oreo and the US oreo and let us know your findings! They are probably quite different.
    Sadly it's all about money...

    Oh, your homemade oreos look great! I made some myself about a year ago and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, cool about the Fanta. I don't like orange soda anyway but maybe if it were lighter and had real juice. Thanks, I haven't made them since, my kids keep asking. Hopefully soon.

      Delete
  6. I love this post. I do however question is taste something we can realistically compete with the average western products? WE should avoid additives and unnecessary stuff cus its not good in the end for us. Maybe the stuff here is better (im in US) but a lot of it probably causes cancer or early puberty and God knows what else. I would say after my adventures in MSr I was not pleased with the treats lol except Ka7k.....Id kill for Ka7k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, that's a point I didn't consider but I wonder what they use here to save costs.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!