March 12, 2013

How Our Dog Makes a Difference in Our Family

This post is underwritten by our partner Dog Fence DIY, the most affordable resource for wireless dog fencing. 

We have had Rocky now for about a month and a half. Already, in that short amount of time, we have learned what an absolute joy it is to have a dog in our lives. Dogs are just amazing and are arguably the best kind of pet. Having a dog has really had a positive effect on our family.

What they they say about dogs is true. They really are man's best friend. Rocky is still a puppy and can sometimes be a lot of work but he's so great, we hardly mind at all. I truly believe having a dog makes us happier people.  I  always feel better after having some quality time, hanging out with Rocky for a while. You can always count on your dog to be there when you're sad or feeling frustrated. Everyone needs time to decompress and we know that studies show that having pets reduces stress. Just petting a dog reduces your blood pressure.

A dog is a great companion and actually can be quite entertaining. It's also fun to teach him tricks. Just yesterday, he played fetch for the first time, it was so exciting for us all, and we gave him lots of praise for it. He has even starting barking at new people who come over! It's so cute, he's already trying to be a good guard dog.  He's funny. He is always doing something that makes us laugh.  He is extremely loving as well.  You can actually feel his love for you. When he cuddles up in my lap, (after being  hyper for a bit), when he runs towards me, tail wagging like crazy when I get home. You know he loves you unconditionally! That's a great feeling. Dogs don't care if you are rich or cool or funny or smart. They just love you because you love them.

My kids are really happy to have Rocky as a part of our family. They have expressed how much they love coming home and playing outside with him for a while after school. I think it's great for them. It encourages them to play outside more and teaches compassion and responsibility. They help me with feeding and bathing Rocky as well. I think it's a good lesson to learn to take care of another being and have empathy and kindness towards them.

Having a dog in your family is a life long commitment, but if you have the space in your heart and your home for a dog, It's a really rewarding experience that you shouldn't miss out on.

11 comments:

  1. Assalamualaikum!! Awwwww mashaAllah, i love dogs. They really do have the power to win your heart over with that cute face, right? Rocky is such a cutie <3 <3

    x
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, they do :) Thanks I think so too.

      Delete
  2. Rocky is ADORABLE!!!

    I have to agree with you on ALL points! I never had a dog - ever...then the hubster came home with this adorable puppy about a year ago and I can't imagine life without him. Sure, he gets all hyper and he thinks he's a lap dog, but he is so awesome - and won't ever answer back (I'm dreading the teen years with 3 girls. lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Right on on the answering back! I never had a dog before either. Never had the room, so glad we finally were able to.

      Delete
  3. Love to read this.
    I loooove dogs!
    Had one myself in the past when i still lived at my parents.
    Now my husband and i can`t have a dog, because to busy with work.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll reach a time in life when you can. It's really good of you to realize they take time and attention. Too many people just leave their dogs alone all the time.

      Delete
  4. "Dogs don't care if you are rich or cool or funny or smart. They just love you because you love them."

    that made me tear up sooooooooo sweet/cute. Habibiii he's tiny! I want a dog :( Inshallah later, we live in such a cultural muslim community that this would make headlines for years. Only our afghan neighbours seem 2 have them and not care lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, well, thankfully we have enough room and outdoor space that it's not an issue but some Muslims act like just petting a dog or liking dogs is "haraaaam!"

      Delete
  5. i somehow ended up with FIVE dogs and though theyre a handful i dont think i can get rid of even one. they are so messy (two are puppies to one of my original dogs)and bothersome but they are like my children!! each one has his own special personality! your dog is adorable. he's going to be a real beauty when he grows up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Rocky is adorable! I wish we could have one, but my daughter and husband are both highly allergic to dogs...and I'm not sure how it would affect their allergies and asthma even if it were an outside dog. Also, our walls are too low here at this house and we've had problems with the neighbors dogs getting into our yard so...I think it wouldn't be a wise choice for us right now. But I hope in the future we can get one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, what a sweet little doggy you guys have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!