February 1, 2013

I Need A Break

Every mom knows the feeling. Sometimes you just need some time away from your kids. We all love our kids immensely, no doubt about it, but that doesn't mean we want, or should be around them 24/7.  

I firmly believe it's more healthy to any relationship, be it man/woman, parent/child, whatever, to have time apart.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?

All day long it's noisy bickering or whining. Heck, they're just loud even when getting along. I mean, I know kids are loud creatures but God,  could you just calm the heck down, please? I can't hear myself think!  Plus, being home all day makes them want to eat all day. Opening the fridge constantly like it's a cabinet. "Mommy, I have a sweet tooth"  Said as a statement like, I'm now supposed to do something about this very pressing dilemma.

The kids are on mid year break now and I just never get the chance to miss them. Nor them me. It's constant kids from the moment my feet hit the floor, (or shib shib), until I my lay my head to sleep. The only time away is Zumba 2 hours a week and I love it and really feel it helps me mentally as well as physically. I always feel better and less frazzled after a Zumba class but it's not relaxing, nor does it give me any real adult time. There's no time for conversation.

Even when I take the kids out with friends of ours, we can't even have a cup of tea in peace and have a grown up conversation. Our children are always interrupting or just hanging around when we'd like to talk privately.

There just needs to be a good healthy balance. Moms need time to themselves to recharge our batteries, so we can then give our families of ourselves. A stressed, unhappy mom is not one you want to be around. Like the old saying goes. "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

14 comments:

  1. Ya allah, my dear. I know that feeling all too well! But, you know what? My kids have been in the village visiting teita for a few days now and seriously...my life feels very strange. I still have my 8 month old with me, but without the screaming and yelling and demanding and crying, I really feel like...what am I supposed to do with my time?! ha ha. I have read, watched movies, cleaned, knit/crocheted, etc. i.e. all the things I say I dont have time for because the kids are always up my butt. a break is a really good thing to help you remember you love them and their craziness. I ask Allah to give you a

    ReplyDelete
  2. much needed break, ameen. (sorry, blogger cut off my comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I'm sure that would be the case after a while but seriously, enjoy it!!

      Delete
  3. I don`t have children yet, but i totally agree.
    You just need some time for yourself every now and than.
    That`s important and healthy.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea it seems obvious to me :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you get some time to relax amid all the chaos. I teach kids for several hours a day and as much as I enjoy it, it's always such a relief to send them back to their parents! I guess I should think of it from your angle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I went for a long walk one morning and that helped a lot.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Glad what I feel resonated with some :)

      Delete
  6. As a homeschooling mom, I know the feeling! Sometimes when the kids go to bed, I still hear their voices in my head! Is that crazy? lol. What some sisters and I do is try to get together and leave kids at home. We've done a book club, knitting circle, halaqa, and just get togethers where we have tea and eat cake. Usually on a Friday or Saturday night in one of our homes :) We leave the kids with the babas and it is so nice and relaxing. I really look forward to these much needed weekly events.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know why my name came out like that, but the above comment is mine. :) -Hagar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's like child voice vertigo. Time with friends in peace and quiet is so needed.

      Delete
  8. Oh goodness. I feel you. Mine are 4 years old and 4 months old. I suppose I'm just getting started what with the whining and all... I thought it got easier when they got older, but I'm realizing that's not the case. It just gets difficult in other ways...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!