January 21, 2013

What's For Dinner?


Why do I hate that question? I find myself really rather annoyed when one of my kids comes into the kitchen while I'm cooking and asks me "What's for dinner?"  I don't even have to be in a particularly bad mood but it just irks me. I know it's an innocent question and they just want to know but it just bothers me.

I think it has something to do with feeling some resentment about the possible reaction. Like it has to meet their approval. Sometimes if someone isn't crazy about the day's main dish or veggies or whatever, they'll voice that opinion and that bugs. Also it might also be related to feeling like I'm some kind of servant. Like, "What's on the menu today?"

The thing is, it doesn't bother me when E asks say on the phone on his way home. Probably because I know he's asking out of anticipation and never complains about the food. I guess it's just picky kids but I think I have a solution. I'm going to start writing what's for dinner on the white board that's in the kitchen and that will be all. I don't have to deal with the question and they have their curiosity satisfied. Hoping it works!

11 comments:

  1. Salaams Sr. Mona!
    So... what's for dinner? *smirk* I HAD too :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I literally laughed out loud there :)

      Delete
  2. omg lol now I know how my mom feels when we ask her this. 7/10 it's food we don't even like so now we're at a crossroad with her. So I took manners in to my own hands and started to make my own recipe's etc. A good idea is to let your children brainstorm what they would like to eat for the following week and let them write it down for you so there's less complaining. Yeah its different food and yes it's a hassle but then everyone is happy (i.e the kids lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually started letting them cook some. I've always had trouble relenting control in the kitchen, figure it's just easier if I do it myself. BUT if they want to help cook, they have to help clean!

      Delete
  3. Maryam4:28 AM

    Writing dinner on a white board sounds that'll solve it!

    When I used to ask my mom "What's for dinner," she'd always reply "Food." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same! FOOD! say alhamdulillah! :)

      Delete
  4. That should tell 'em LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's working really well. I've even liked writing the daily menu in different handwritings each day :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:51 PM

    This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!
    my web page > football news on transfers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate figuring out what's for supper, it's the crappiest thing ever! If someone asks me before I even know the answer, I get pretty mad too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it's a daily thing, I even start thinking on it the night before.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!