August 22, 2012

US Make Up Haul

I'm a huge make up fiend. While in the US I fell prey to the cosmetics sections and Sephora a very many times. I'm pretty happy with most of the items I got. A lot of them were on my wish list and not available in Egypt or overpriced here. Just to be clear, this was my first time in the US in 10 years! This is not a regular thing for me :)

Here's what I got, and some short reviews. I've put a pink asterisk* before my very favorites, 'cause this post is kinda long!

Ok, so lips and cheeks.

From the top left, Loreal's The Balm is really nice and sheer and smells great but in hindsight, I'd have gotten a different color but this mauvy one is not awful.

Revlon lipstick in Soft Nude, I love the color, but it definitely needs a full face of make up on me to look good.

Next, DuWop's Lip Venom. I love cinnamon so this is nice and doesn't burn on me like some reviews I've read, but I can't really say that it plumps lips. It's a nice, long lasting pink tinted gloss at best.

Lancome Juicy Tubes are nice and not too sticky.

Unforgettable Moments cheek and lip stick was found at Payless shoes. Nice as a blush, stays on nicely throughout the day, but no good for lips.

*Benefit Benetint is one of my all time favorite products. The last bottle I had lasted years. It lasts all day and looks so natural. Love it.

*Next to that, NYX blush, can't recall the color but if anyone is curious, I'll look. It's a nice matte dark peachy color. I don't like blush with shimmer so I was glad to find this.

*Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain is an interesting product. It's a thick pencil that goes on smooth like a balm but leaves a stain. A little goes a long way. The regular magic marker type stain, below that is good too. It has a chapstick type deal on the other end as well. This color is like my perfect natural color.

Sephora Lush Flush is a lot like Benetint but it's way cheaper but doesn't last as long as Benetint. It has a thicker consistency and a sponge tip applicator which is easier than Benetint though.

*The Vincent Longo double ended lip liner came to me in a Beauty Bar Sample Society box and it is incredibly long lasting. I like both colors so I lucked out.

Eyes: Pretty simple for me:

Most of the summer I used Maybelline Colossal Volum Express. It's comparable to Cover Girl's Lash Blast in my opinion. Thickens, very black and I always go for waterproof so yea, long lasting, no flakes.

Sephora Kohl liner is your basic black smudge-able liner. It's very soft going on and easy to use.

*Elf eyelash curler. This is great for just a buck and the removable/changeable pad is curved so it gives you a nice curl instead of a crimp.

Sephora Waterproof Eye Make up Remover is a must when you always use waterproof mascara. This stuff dissolves it quickly and easily, like most similar products.

*DiorShow Iconic Waterproof Mascara is THE best mascara ever created on earth in the history of mascara. Enough said.
 
Face, from the top, left:

Benefit set, Realness of Concealness, Comes with mini's of Lip Plump, High Beam, Ooh La La, Lemon Aid and Boing. I like Lemon Aid to counteract blue tones in under eye circles and High Beam is a great highlighter. The rest, I can take or leave. I'm such a sucker for Benefit for some reason though.

To the right of that is a mini of Benefit's Hulu Bronzer. I'm not a big bronzer person but it's ok occasionally. I like Hulu because it's shimmer free which is super hard to find in a bronzer.

*Make Up Forever HD powder is a translucent finishing powder. It keeps away shine and makes my make up stay put. Just don't take flash photo's with it on or you'll look like another kind of fiend.

*Bare Minerals Powder Foundation. I really love this stuff. It gives a nice glowy finish, and looks very natural. It's effortless to apply and a tiny bit does the job.

*Lancome Teint Idole Ultra. This foundation is super long lasting and stays put even on the hottest most humid days. Days I swore my face must have melted of hours ago, I'd catch a look in a mirror and be pleasantly surprised that while it was dewy-er looking, my foundation was still there. This along with Revlon Color Stay are my favorite liquid foundations.

Garnier BB cream. Meh. Not worth all the hype. It's pretty much a tinted moisturizer. Not very much coverage but ok for days that you just want a light face.

*Tarte Primers. This mini set of primers was a great way to try these out. They're all great but  I found that the Poreless one is wonderful. This makes my skin look better and my make up never budge. Good stuff!

Benefit Some Kind Of Gorgeous cream foundation. This surprised me. It actually gives good coverage and it's easy to apply. Not as long lasting as I like but a pretty good foundation over all.

Benefit Dr. Feelgood is a good mattifier for touch ups but I prefer blotting papers or films. It does leave a nice velvety finish though.

Elf Shine Eraser Oil Blotting sheets. These are ok for a buck, you can't complain. Your basic rice paper oil absorbing sheets.

*Sephora Matte Blotting Films are the real deal. These syntheic sheets absorb better than paper and leave a nice matte finish.

Loreal Magic Lumi concealer is supposed to be a dupe of YSL Touch Eclat but I don't love it. It's ok but creases on me so not a fan.

*Garnier Skin Renew Anti Dark Circle Roller,  I have never found a concealer that I like as much as this one. It gives good coverage of  under eye circles and doesn't crease or get cakey. What more could I want?
 

Sephora had a sale on brushes and I picked up these. No reviews as I'm not a huge brush person so I don't have much to compare them to. They're soft? :) Top is good for in my purse to touch up on Bare Minerals. Second two are for eyes. I almost never wear eye shadow beyond the over all beige so I'll use these to practice appliction of colors in the crease, etc. Next is a lip bush and below that is for brows.

Do you use any of the above? What's your take? What are your favorite products of late?

10 comments:

  1. Eid Mubarak sister - hope you had a productive Ramadan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alhamdulillah :)

      Delete
  2. You're right - Garnier BB cream is not all that, after 2 hours my skin becomes so greasy.
    I use Revlon's color stay which is good, but they need to have more shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is greasy, maybe better on someone with dry skin. I too love Revlon Colorstay.

      Delete
  3. Wow that`s a lot.
    I like buying this kind of stuff, but most of it i almost
    never use.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but it's not like I do this on any given summer or 2 month period. It's only because I was there and most of it isn't available here.

      I used to be like that. Enjoy the purchase and having of the item but never using stuff. I just said, what a waste and started using stuff up cause it will go bad.

      Delete
  4. The make-up lover in me loved this post! I don't wear a lot of make-up but I do enjoy reading about it and seeing what products other women love. So thanks for doing this post.

    Just yesterday I bought a few lip glosses from Revlon and am really enjoying them. I also bought a lip stain from their Just Bitten line...not too fond of it. I think I got the wrong color.

    Hope you had a great Eid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love posts/blogs about stuff like this too. You know with the Revlon marker type stain, I have one that's too dark but I'll just put a tiny bit on each lip then spread it out, lick my lips a little and it's light.

      Delete
  5. Nice post. You got a lot of great products, you took advantage of your time in the US! The Diorshow mascara must be something special, I've never felt that way about a mascara before, they're all close to the same for me so far. The Benetint.. I'm not sure I understand the product - it looks like nail polish but it's lip and cheek tint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea I think so! The Benetint is watery but applies with a brush like a nailpolish, I'd rather a sponge tip but whatever, it's cool.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!