August 11, 2012

Back In Egypt

Well we're back in Hurghada now, been home for a few days. I'm still trying to get settled. I haven't completely unpacked yet, the apt needs a good cleaning, and friends are calling to get together.  I just needed a few days to recuperate from our trip.

We started out getting dropped off at the wrong terminal. Thankfully we had come to the airport early so we had plenty of time to take a few elevators and an air bus to the right Terminal. My bags were a couple of kilos over but the lady let it go except for one where I had to take some stuff out and carry it on. Thankfull that we had checked our bags we relaxed and ate at JFK and took our first plane to our connection in London. We had less than 2 hours between touching down and our next flight, and man is Heathrow huge. We took several escalators, an airbus, and a 10 minute shuttle to our gate but not before being stopped for not having my liquids in baggies. Then we had to speed walk to what seemed to be the very farthest gate in the whole place and made it just in time to board.  Whew, alhamdulillah. Only good things to say about both British Airways and British Midland International.

I didn't sleep at all, couldn't sleep. I watched a few movies, Salmon Fishing In The Yemen. Liked that, and was glad to see Egyptian Actor Amr Waked getting more Hollywood roles. I also watched We Bought A Zoo and loved that. I love anything with animals and the story was cute. A Thousand Words was stupid and not funny. Don't waste your time on that one.

When we finally arrived my senses were assaulted when I went to fill out our arrival cards and the BO was pungent.  Haven't these people ever heard of deodorant?  We got our bags and got out of there pretty fast and it was such a notable difference stepping outside the airport. People were crowding the entrance and there was no order. The cars weren't stopping on the cross walk for people like us with luggage carts trying to make it to the parking lot. Horns beeping, super hot outside and it was really a "Welcome to Egypt" kind of moment.

Alhamdulillah I slept most of the way back on the 5 hour car ride  from Cairo to Hurghada. I'm hoping to feel settled soon and enjoy the last week of Ramadan. It's really odd, I keep forgetting that I'm here. I'll see a thing online about something going on in NJ and think to myself, oh we should go to that. Then I'm like. Oh. Right.  All in all it was a long and tiring trip home but I'm glad to be back.

8 comments:

  1. Alhamdulillah your you got safe back to home.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, alhamdulillah :)

      Delete
  2. Wow that does sound like a long and exhausting trip. Enjoy resting up and the last few days of Ramadan. Welcome home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, alhamdulillah, thanks, you too!

      Delete
  3. Salam Mona :),
    I'm glad you came back safe from your trip to the States.It really was interesting to read about all the adventures you had on the airports :)...Now I wish you a very good rest and blessed last days of Ramadan.
    Much love <3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Mona! I imagine it must be a bittersweet homecoming, but inshaa Allaah you made lots of beautiful memories this summer to look back on and smile about :) Hamdela 'ala salamah :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it back safely. On our trip to the West Bank we watched "We Bought A Zoo" on both flights there and both flights back. I'm so over that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to hear you and your family made it home safe, Alhamdulillah. I used to live in NJ, too, before I moved to Dubai!

    Haha about the BO. I really think we need to just buy bags full of it and distribute it to people. Come visit Dubai and get on the metro. I promise you will never ride that once without getting a strong whiff of serious BO.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!