July 28, 2012

Winding Down

Yes, my trip to the US is now winding down. I'll be going home in a little over a week inshaAllah and I wanted to write a few things about how our trip has been over all and things I've noticed being here.

No offense to those who live here, Ramadan in the US is just not the same for me. I do think it depends greatly on how active you are in the Islamic community around you though.  I just miss the feeling that everyone is fasting and the festive feeling in the air. I miss seeing mawad el rahman and people handing out dates and refreshments on the street during iftar time. Hearing the actual Athan at magrib and see people rushing to the masjid.  On the other hand though, I feel like some Egyptians focus on the food and tv instead of 3ibada (worship). I'm glad that I'll get to spend most of the second half of Ramadan there though, and Eid of course, inshaAllah.

I've said it before and I'll say it agian. People in the US are so freaking friendly! I love it! Not only have I not had one single problem with anyone being muslim/arab/hijabi in the US, not one! No, people are courteous and pleasant and gregarious. (SAT word there) Oh and this may or may not be indicative of most people but I dropped my wallet at a crowded roller skating ring and thought it was surely gone. Someone one found it and returned it to the office, not a penny missing and there was over 100 dollars in there. I was floored. This isn't to compare with Egypt because I've been equally surprised by things like this in Egypt as well. Remember the scooter?

I still can't get over that places here will give you free ice water. That never happens in Egypt! Well, I suppose the water is from the tap/filter, but still, here they'll give you a cup and straw and ice. Oh the ice. Is ice in drinks a truly an American thing or what? You have to ask for ice in Egypt and they may or may not have it and if they do they give you a cup of ice for your table to share, lol. My kids will miss free refills everywhere though, ha!

I'm really glad no one took my wallet that day. Life here is expensive! I mean, I really try not to think about how much stuff is in EGP but sometimes that X6 happens automatically and it's like, "Woah I just spent 12le on a soda." That said, there are lots of bargains to be had. And I have had many, alhamdulillah. The issue now is bringing all this stuff back!  Baggage allowance is not my friend. Hopefully it will be ok, I just have to rearrange a few things.

It's starting to sink in that I'm leaving really soon and I don't know when I'll be able to come back. I'm trying to just take it in and enjoy it while I can. It was great seeing family here and alhamdulillah I managed to see a lot of great friends and family while I was here this summer. I'm really glad for that. I'll miss the library, the cleanliness, how every thing's convenient and organized here. It will also be interesting to see how I feel after going back. What will I miss here the second time around? What will I notice about Egypt with fresh eyes?

I'm really so happy that we came and we had a great summer here. That said, I'm looking forward to going home and getting back to regular life. inshaAllah. See you there!

11 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more to say in retrospect :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had such a great time, brilliant write up and hope you all have a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in the USA 2 times and i totally agree that the people
    are very friendly.
    I like that.
    And they are not looking strange at eachothers clothes on the streets.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it's very diverse, especially in NJ so it's no big deal :)

      Delete
  4. I also really love Ramadan in Saudi so I could see why you would miss it. Those reasons you mentioned are what also make it special here. Its nice fasting with your entire country knowing how one another feels and people putting an effort into making sure everyone breaks their fast or eats on time mashAllah.

    Same here you can not even get a cup without paying for a it (an entire drink for a cup) back home like you said they just give it to you. But also something they do here that I could never see them doing back home is if you do not have enough or change they just say next time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you understand! Alhamdulillah, it's always hard when people ask where's better, it's not so black and white. There are good and bad in both places :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alhamdulillah it was, I'm grateful.

      Delete
  6. I am so happy for you that it was a good experience Mona :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!