June 26, 2012

Shopping And Spending In America

Finally got some free time to publish a post, most days we're out and about and I keep meaning to write but never get around to it. We're well, alhamdulillah and having a good time. I've done some serious shopping here and will probably do some product reviews eventually.

I'm learning that Sephora can be a dangerous place, I picked up and put back down so many things, saying, I don't need this. I need this. No, I don't need this. Bath and Body works too, man, stuff on sale, you just keep picking up things and then all of a sudden you've racked up a lot. Everything smells so good though! I actually ended up returning a few things like 15 minutes after just because they were impulse buys.

Clothes, I pretty much just buy things that are on sale or clearance. It adds up too but I think we got some good deals. I still want to get the kids those rash guard type swim shirts and shorts, they seem like a great option for modest swimwear. Also, new book bags and maybe lunch bags.

We figured out the bus schedule to go a mall and that was pretty cool. Yesterday, we went to see Brave. It was really a nice story and a refreshing change from the usual Disney Princess. Last week we went to a park that had a spray ground. The girls enjoyed it. Dawood claimed it was for babies. It was hot day and pretty crowded so I don't blame him for opting out. 

There was a small carnival a few days ago too, the kids loved that. It was a few bouncy houses and some games and cotton candy, food and drinks, icees, popcorn, etc, with a dj and pony rides. It was hot that day too but they enjoyed the attractions anyway. Zayneb even volunteered and helped run a game. Dawood commented that they would never have all of that for free in Egypt. So true, lol.

I really try not to compare things in terms of dollars/pounds because it's depressing but I drew the line at hijabs. I had only brought  a few with me, then when I bought clothes here, I didn't have ones to match so I just wore this light grey one that would just have to do. Then at the mall there was this Egyptian seller that had some scarves, 5 dollars. The fabric turned out to be so thin and was ruined with the pin in one use. I see a lot of cute scarves in stores here, like old navy has some nice ones. But when I think about how much they are in pounds, I'm like, no way.  A clearance one may be 10 bucks but thats 60le! A nice one in Egypt is 30-35 le Clothes I can justify because even when you convert it, the price is reasonable. Sure there are hijabs that cost more in Egypt but they are worth it and better quality.

All in all I'm trying to curb the shopping for financial reasons and for luggage weight reasons. I wanna be able to bring this stuff back!


8 comments:

  1. Steal the scarves of friends/relatives! haha! I once spent 200 bucks in sephora...... The devils handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, that points thing at Sephora makes you want to spend more too. I'm keeping it in check for now. I discovered Ulta which was loads of fun and more reasonably priced.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, Sephora can get me in a looot of trouble! lol! We saw Brave the other day, too, I really liked it, it was a nice change from the usual princess stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I loved the story line. Could have done without the butts but oh well. :)

      Delete
  3. Sephora is EXTREMELY dangerous! ahahaha The closest one to me now is far, but there's still online shopping ;)

    I'm glad you're having a great time and experiencing new and wonderful things (and by "you", I also mean your kids :) ).

    If you're going to Chicago at all, hit me up! I would love to see you again! It's been WAY too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online is worse, you get tempted with gwp and samples plus the fun of getting the package :)

      Delete
  4. I can't wait for some pictures of the stuff you bought :)!
    Enjoy it in the U.S.A..
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmina. As soon as I get a chance. Been busy here a lot. Once I get back to my regular life, I'll have so many posts racked up lol.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!