April 13, 2012

Bathing Suit Shopping

Yet another summer starts here in Egypt (yes it's hot already) and living in Hurghada, bathing suits are essential. We have a group beach trip planned soon and the girls have outgrown the suits they had so we went on a mission to find suitable...er suits.  I wanted the older 2 girls to have either shorts or a skirt on theirs and it has to be one piece. And not a frilly little decorative skirt but something that covers the bum and comes mid thigh at least.

Dawood is easy, thankfully board shorts have become very popular since I wrote this post, so alhamdulillah for that. He's shot up in height, mashaAllah this year, so he got a nice new pair of  board shorts and he's good to go.

The girls however are a different story. First of all they are really picky, second of all, the majority of bathing suits here are either, ugly, of bad quality or skimpy.  We searched high and low all over town today, walking and spending a lot on taxis just to find something that was sturdy, modest, and cute.

Thankfully I found a great one for Zayneb that's black and white with a nice skirt and looks cute too.  It cost more that I'd wanted to spend but it really was better than the alternatives. Salwa also picked a nice red and white one piece with a skirt, but either way they'll wear a sarong outside of the water. Safiyah didn't want to go shopping with us, so she said I could pick one out for her. I picked up a nice navy one piece and she was sad because she wanted a skirt like her sisters have. It was too small anyway so I'll have to go return it and find something with the all important skirt.

A short comment on modesty and the Egyptain social class system. For some reason or another, people of higher socioeconomic standing are less modest in their dress in general than people in the lower class. People in the middle want to find a happy medium but sadly, all the bathing suits we found that had a short sleeve, shorts underneath and a skirt were, how should I put this...bee2a. That's a term here used that means lower class looking. Besides that, the fabric is so thin that wet, it's not serving it's purpose anyway. I'm not looking for brands or whatever but what I'm  looking at is the quality and durability of the fabric and also that it's a simple nice style, not overly decorated fugliness. I'm not even sure this paragraph made any sense but people in/from Egypt will understand what I mean, I hope.

I, myself bought a new hijabi swimsuit (eh, I dislike the term burkini) which are easy to find here and quite affordable too.  The sea here is just so amazing we really should take advantage of it more often.

16 comments:

  1. I don't like "burkini" either, thank you! swimmodest.com has quality suits for girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, thanks. Shopping online isn't an option for us, unfortunately but it's good to know for the future.

      Delete
  2. hi mona, ive noticed too that some clothes here look very tacky and anything decent is expensive.. but the thing i have noticed with egyptians is that they take very good care of their clothes and are very careful not to ruin them, maybe its because they know its value!! My Husband still has some clothes from 4 years ago and i swear they look new! lol. Anyway, when i joined the gym in Egypt, i bought a bathing suit from Carina, which I liked.. it was turqoise and good quality because its stil the same. :) I realy enjoy shopping in Egypt but its become so expensive to buy things from the mall so now im resorting to the "market". lol :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that's true, I've noticed it too. Don't forget to bargain!

      Delete
  3. Seriously, you're so lucky you have a beach to use at your disposal! Living in North America we are like ":O BEACH? WHERE?!!" Lucky Californians and Floridans *sigh* Oh I remember when I used to wear boy swim shorts and bikini tops (in my defence I was a flat chested 14 year old so it didn't mean much :P) That was when I was in downtown pools etc.. God knows I'd never wear anything ajaneb could use to make fun of me with! ... but anyway It's really interesting, (this doesn't apply to ALL but to many) the more money you have or "upper class" (bas mafi upper class min aktarhom) you are the less values/better judgement/modesty you have. I can't wait to see the post about your beach day. For us it's like 10 degrees and we're enjoying the damn weather haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yea interesting, isn't it about "class"? I hope I can get some good pics that day iA.

      Delete
  4. Salams Mona,

    I'm enjoying your blog so much. I feel as if I am almost being punished for wanting to wear modest attire. The options are so few. I will be teaching my boys to swim this summer and inshallah will be able to find something practical. Jummah mubarak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks. Yea it's a bit of a struggle then top it off with trying to find something that isn't gaudy or crappy.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to have to go shopping for bathing suits for my kids, soon myself. The little one is still easy to pick something for but not the oldest one...That's a shame the modest ones are poor quality. I'm thinking of looking for girls board shorts, if they make them in a decent length...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, It looks good and covers well.

      Delete
  6. Ah this post makes me miss swimming! I didn't really used to swim all that much but it would be nice to be able to swim while on holiday, especially now I have Nora. Unfortunately my husband really doesn't like hijabi swimsuits and whenever I mention getting one he gets all grumpy on me. So as yet I have never purchased one. Maybe I can convince him if I find something nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love swimming, it's active and you don't sweat and you feel weightless! I'd say if you find something nice, cool, if not make something up and don't let that stop you from the water, inshaAllah.

      Delete
  7. completely agree with you! we should take advantage and find clothing we can have some wet fun in lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, why sit on the sidelines when you can have fun with your family and friends and still stay modest?

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:43 PM

    I. A Muslim man married with a son, where can I go in Hurghada on vacation? All the hotels have rules against the islamic swimwear. Is there any conservative places in Hurghada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most places won't have a problem with a covered woman in the sea but pools have regulations that the swim wear be made of swimsuit fabric. No street clothes, cotton etc. I would ask the hotel/ resort you are interested in before booking just to make sure you don't run into any problems. Hope you have a nice holiday.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!