March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie Review

Spoiler Alert!

I watched the movie last night, online and I have to say, I think it was very well done. Of course there were some small changes and things left out because if they did every movie just like the book it would be 10 hours long.  For example, how Katniss gets the mockingjay pin, it's because they don't have time to go into another character (Madge).

I thought the casting was very good. When I first heard Jenifer Lawrence would be playing Katniss, I thought, she's no Katniss, but when I saw her in the role, I was really impressed. She played the character really well.  Josh Hutcherson is a perfect Peeta. I'm still on book 2 but consider me team Peeta. I felt the same reading the book, there wasn't a lot of characterization for Gale yet anyway.

The film was just as emotional as the book. I cried during the reaping scene where Katniss volunteers as tribute to save her sister as well as when Rue died. Such a heartbreaking scene.

I loved the special effects and futuristic themes. The fire dress and the control room. That reminded me of a super high tech warped Truman Show. The fashion at the Capitol was also really fun to see. Effie and Ceasar, wow, his teeth were crazy. Seneca you love to hate because he's got that crazy beard but then you feel kind of bad for him at the end. Side-note, Wes Bently, crazy beard aside looks a lot like a young Omar Sheriff, don't you think?

Over all I think the movie felt a little rushed, if I hadn't read the book, I might have been like what? who? confused. Anyone see the film without first reading the book have an opinion on this? It was still a very enjoyable movie and  I look forward to the rest of the series.

12 comments:

  1. im so eager to see the movie I actually won free tickets to watch it but im just waiting for it to be not so new cause i know the cinema will be packed lol i finished reading all 3 books and im not sure i really liked the ending but it was still a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, you have to go!

      Delete
  2. I did not have time to read the books but I watched the movie last night as well and I was not that impressed. I knew it would not be as good as the books sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess reading them now wouldn't be exciting because you know the outcome.

      Delete
  3. So you liked it? I'm hearing a lot of people who read the book and didn't like the movie...I haven't seen it yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, you can't go in expecting too much or everything to be included in the movie, you know?

      Delete
  4. I was seeing another movie on Friday night, which was premier night here in the states. I have never in my life seen so many people lining up for anything. The line filled the huge lobby of the theater.winding back and forth, back and forth. Everyone was patiently waiting at least 3 hours before the show started. I was wondering how they managed to fit the storyline in to such a short time, now I know they didn't. :)
    I've never liked a movie better than the original book, so I don't have high hopes here either.
    lizze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a huge pop culture thing now but I hate the comparisons to Twilight!

      Delete
  5. UGGG.. I was watching a program tonight in which they were calling it the new Twilight. I'm just soo not a twilight fan, the comparisons make me crazy. There is an actual storyline with social discussion in this series, as opposed to vamps vs. wolves nonsense.
    lizze ;o)(Can you tell I am not a vampire novel fan?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there are so many things that are reflected in real life in this series. The only vampire movie I ever liked was Interview With The Vampire but that's because it's awesome. I can't even bring myself to watch that Twilight crap.

      Delete
  6. LostFan6:02 AM

    You watched it online? Like, on a website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea the site's called 1channel1.ch

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!