February 12, 2012

A Mini Vacation

Last week we went to a resort in El Quseir, a mere 2 hour drive away for a nice 3 day break.
We went to this place last year. It was just as nice this time. I was happy to see several Egyptian families around this time. I suppose since it was mid year break but it was good not being the only hijabi in sight. Less stares for sure. Anyway, I decided to make the photos a slide show instead of having a lot of photos in a post.



While I was there, I enjoyed playing a little game we like to call the smiling game. A bit of a social experiment. I'd smile at people coming towards me and see how many would smile back. Interesting findings. Very scientific. Foreigners all smile back but about 25% would avoid eye contact. Egyptains, 60%  avoid eye contact and no one smiled back. Odd indeed. I don't know why.

Anyway we all had a nice time. Really, what's not to like, sleep, eat, swim, eat, repeat.

2 comments:

  1. Assalamu'alaikum!

    Loved your comment about the stares! My husband and I just came back from a resort in Bali this past weekend and before we left...I was worried about being the only hijabi on the tropical island. Haha.

    Love the slideshow. Masha'Allah, your children are so adorable!

    In America, I made it a point to say salaam w/ a smile to every Muslim I passed by. Rarely did someone not respond or smile back. I have found that when I do this in Muslim countries...I rarely get a response and forget a smile. Foreigners usually always smile at me no matter where I am...but I will have to look out to see if they will make eye contact next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SippingChai, Alaikum alsalam! Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does/notices these things. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!