January 13, 2012

Egyptians And Facebook

Ever since the revolution a lot of Egyptians have discovered Facebook. Or "el face" as some here like to call it. So naturally I've gained some of them as FB friends in the past several months and I've noticed several trends. Let's go over a few, shall we?

Fake names. I suppose it's the big scary internet and people don't want strangers to know their real name. And I suppose there's still a bit of that Arab thing where people aren't supposed to know a woman's name. But, but BUUUTTT, only people you friend will know it's you! Do they not want to be search-able to long lost friends or school mates?  I honestly had to defriend someone who's name was something like shghewlsi ghsajldji . Really?

Thinking Facebook is a political site. Because FB was a big part in starting the revolution, some have gotten the idea that it's sole purpose is posting about protests, politics and the sort. Some even have Mubarak as a profile pic (barf) Post a regular status once in a while folks.

Pictures of blond children. This is rampant and frankly a bit creepy to me. Arabs love to post pictures of cute blond little cherub children. They don't have pics of their own children but they have tons of photos of foreign ones. A recent one I saw looked right out of Toddler's and Tiaras, you know, the kiddie pageants. I thought it was horrible but everyone was like "zay el amar!" saying how beautiful the child was. One woman had a little blond girl as her profile pic. What? Why? How does that represent you or your family? How would that make her own daughter feel?

Friending anyone who sends you a friend request. This is women here, but a lot of them will add anyone who friends them. Not only is it stupid,  it's counterproductive to most who don't want men seeing their profile. If you don't know a person well, or at all you have no  worldly inkling  just who is viewing your profile.

Using Facebook to sell and annoy.  People here often have fb pages to sell their wares but they annoy you with "event" invites every damn day. I use quotes because these events are often not an actual event, but just a way to annoy you. Or they'll tag you in a pic of their Avon stuff. Obnoxious.  They also over charge for stuff. I saw Old navy gloves that were on oldnavy.com for 6US$ and they were listed for 160 LE! (6$=36LE) Loreal mascara that's under 6 dollars was listed for 100 pounds. And people buy it.

Just a disclaimer, I'm not saying all Egyptians do these things but it's common with a lot of the ones I know. 

19 comments:

  1. Gosh Mona, I'm not kidding but some of the things you've noted here apply to people from Bangladesh too! I get inundated with requests from people [guys, blergh] I've never met before, but cos we're all Bengali; it's supposed to be ok!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashi, Ugh I hate that. People must sometimes accept which keeps them going. Ignore ignore ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! And one of the trends amongst Indians is to put up profile pics of Bollywood celebrities!! Why oh why!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the children thing is weird. never understood why a grown woman would obsess of random children that they have never met.

    the event thing - OMG. i get "event" invites all the time... only from gypos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pri, I'll never get why people don't use their own pic for profile pics. Or at least your kids so people know who you are when searching for you.

    Miss Hijabi, Yea Is it like they wish that was their kid? Is like when I might post a picture of a cute puppy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. afghans post the photoshopped blue-eyed babies too. really creepy for sure! must be a fob requirement! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was funny Mona! I never understood the cute white baby with the rosy cheeks thing either. Hello?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lala, It's a fob thing for sure.

    Asiya, yea and some of them are so photoshopped its weird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, my husband is Egyptian and I'm always confused when some people add me from his family with random names. Unfortunately, Facebook doesn't allow you to hide your profile picture from search so there is no way to keep yourself anonymous anymore. :(

    The blue eyed blonde baby thing is always creepolicious. I remember in Egypt, I would be in a random store that had huge posters of these cherub children. :\ It seems that there are a few pictures that ALL of them have and use!

    http://www.mrsgaeul.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of those apply here in the US too... not the random kids one lol, but the others. I have a friend who's "name" is two sets of random letters even :-/ Lives just across town... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Sweets I just wanted to stop by and thank you for following my new blog. I really appreciate it :) I hope you and your beautiful family are in the best of health and imaan inshallah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL @ el face.

    Yeah the random names are weird! But I know girls who don't use their real names on FB because they don't want people to find them. Anonymity seems to be an important thing for Middle Eastern women *just my observation* Also, some of them have a FB account just to keep track of what everyone else is up to.... they add you but don't really interact with you. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hajar, Yea but they'll put pictures of a flower or whatever and not their own photo.

    MK, It's weird to me because you control who sees what so even if your name is out there, people you don't want to see your profile can't without your permission.

    UmmSultana, Thanks :)I enjoy your blog.

    Shahirah Elaiza, You're right, that's true. I don't like that, when people add you, then never interact. Weird indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate it when people check out your profile, never comment then tell you all about the things they read on it when they meet you in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jessyz, I know it's kinda weird. It's also creepy when someone who never comments on your blog goes on and on about all the things they read about your life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first time I heard someone say el face I cringed.

    I don't like facebook. I'm old fashioned with the way I like to keep in touch with people. I'll email them, sms them, update them on my life when they pick up the phone and call or vice versa, when we meet up, etc, but I will not post my life online for people to silently view without even stopping by to say hi. So I don't have a personal facebook. But that's me, I don't judge people if they do have facebook, this is my personal preference-each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Londoneya, Lol, yea it's cringe-worthy. I suppose some people feel the same way about blogging but yea I wish some people participated more on my fb and I regularly delete people who I never interact with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. UmMarwan5:02 PM

    Yea i totally know what you mean. The creepy pageant kids.
    It annoys the hell out of me when i read comments like' gameela' and stuff. What's wrong with these people lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!