September 11, 2011

September Eleventh

Ten years ago today, I was living in Jersey City, just a short drive through the Holland Tunnel to the city, and I woke the same, as any other day. That day, everything changed.

I was getting my kids breakfast and tried to turn on PBS  for them, but it wasn't working. I tried all the channels and only CBS 2 was on and it was a bit fuzzy. The news made my face drop. A plane had flown into one of the twin towers and it was chaos and unbelievable.  Soon the other plane hit and I was in utter shock. I woke up my husband and like many other Americans I was glued to the tv and was calling people. And like many other Muslims, I was hoping it wasn't "Muslims". I put Muslims in quotes because a Muslim can't be a terrorist and still call themselves Muslims.

I feel that as a Muslim American, my life, and the lives of other Muslims living in the US, was affected more than most Americans off the street. I was horrified by the tragedies and on top of that the assholes who did this ruined things for Muslims in America, big time.

I was pregnant at the time and couldn't go out and didn't leave my apartment for 2 months. I had friends who had to go out for work and school and had horrible things happen to them. I cried and felt completely unwelcome in the only country I ever called home.

I don't have to tell you about all the hate crimes that happened in the weeks and months following 9/11. Not to mention all the innocent lives lost in Iraq and Afghanistan since.

The whole Quran burning fiasco, the problems with Park 51, SO many things have happened as a result of the events of 9/11 that have made it hard to be Muslim in America.

I'm not saying all this to discredit all the Americans affected by the tragedies but just to give a little insight into the American Muslim point of view.  We're not the enemy. We were affected just as much, if not more. Of course, not including people who personally lost loved ones. I'm just saying, it sucks all the way around. 

5 comments:

  1. I forgot you lived in NJ. I lived in Passaic on 9/11. My ex is Masri too.

    Anisah

    ReplyDelete
  2. On 9/11, I was in Morocco with my family, we were watching aljazerra and not believing what we saw...3 years after, I was accepted in a french school to further my study but the embassy didn't want to give me a visa and with no reason...hamdoulilah the school contacted the embassy and I got the visa.
    It's was "normal" to moroccan students to go to France to study and the visa was never a problem but after 9/11 everything change, I heard a lot of stories from family and friends from all over the world and they all agree it's really hard to be muslim after 9/11!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anisah, :) Yea most of the time we were in NJ.

    Nina Red, Yea, so much has been affected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:37 PM

    I feel like a recieved a great gift today! While i was cruzzing through another sisters blog,i saw your blog posting. i took a chance and clicked.Now here i am trying to catch up on what has been going on in your life.Now i remember when you went private i did not ask for permission to follow.Although i had commented in the past,and i was a real fan.I guess i did'nt want to get rejected. I need to comment on this post.This world is really small.I am an American Muslim.I have lived in Egypt before i married(husband not Egyptian).I was also living in Jersey City on that day(not from NJ).That one day has changed my life in so many ways.This is not my blog so i will not go into detail.I just thought i would say hi to an old friend(even if only in my mind),and go on and catch up with what has been going on in your life.I promise i will fight the urge to comment on every post.
    Sarah/Um Asiya
    NC USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a small world indeed. Subhan Allah. Please comment, I love comments! I'm glad to interact with readers all the time, I'm so happy to get your comment. Thanks Sarah :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!