September 23, 2011

On Various Topics

I  was talking to the kids and told them I  want them to try their very best from the start this year. I said, I want 4 nerds in this house.  So each day on their way out, it's "Have a good day, Nerd it up, and don't forget...I love you!"  It's a lot to keep up with, all of their homework and which books to bring each day, lunches, etc. But the upside is mornings free to do what I want. Catch up on sleep, or meet friends for coffee. I do try to do housework before the kids  get home so I'm more available for HW help and all that.

I got my highlights. I'm happy with the result, even if it's not just like the photos I had in mind. The base color of my hair is too dark from repeated home hair dying so it 's not chestnut but a dark chocolate with golden brown highlights. You know I was checking it in the mirror 10 times that day.

I finally watched the finale episodes of Monk. I liked how it ended. (SPOILER ALERT!) Adrian was even wearing a casual sweater in the end and part of his obsession was redirected to Trudy's daughter. I'm glad Parenthood is back, I wait for the new episode each Wednesday. Anyone watch?

I found THE perfect easy way to do your own French manicure. Here's the tutorial.
I had my nails done after my highlights and I was really not satisfied with it. I'm never paying for a manicure again. Unless you sit there in the salon until it's totally dry, it get's messed up and why pay when I can do it? I've tried this with q-tips but it's not nearly as effective. Stickers are a pain and you still don't always get it perfect.
 

Check the tutorial and here's a few tips I've learned:
  • For the white polish, it's most important that the polish is new and not glunky, so you could just use a cheap brand.
  • I find it's best to hold your brush steady and move your finger from one side to another, and the beauty with this technique is you don't have to make it perfect.
  • I used an old eyeshadow brush to do the clean sweep, I recommend not dipping it too far into the nail polish remover or you'll loosen the glue that holds your brush bristles in. Just the tip of the brush will do.
  • A clear coat on your nails each day will keep it glossy and prevent chips. If your tips get chipped just lightly go over the very edge with white and then a clear top coat.

If you try this let me know how you did. :)

8 comments:

  1. i like those designs.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm Aaminah, thanks. Those are just nail stickers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watch Parenthood too. My husband isn't happy with Haddie's new look -- he said she looks too old now.

    That's a great way to do tips! I would recommend Sally Hansen Insta-Dri 02 Whirlwind White, then you don't have to wait but a minute for it to dry before you move on to the next step. I tried using that shade on my entire nail once, but because it dried so fast, it was very streaky; I think it would work perfectly on just the tips though.

    I just finished doing my nails. My mother-in-law is in town and we're taking her out to dinner tonight, so I wanted to try something new. I used Insta-Dri 12 Blue Streak [bright aqua/teal] as a base coat under Sinful Colors 842 Out of This World [sheer, shimmery silver] -- the result looks like a shimmery pale blue. I tried to take a few pics, but the only one that even remotely shows the true color is blurry, and doesn't really show the shimmer -- http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Panya/bed1ca8d.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. What season of Monk did you watch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Panya, Oh Haddie's perm is not flattering at all. I can't wait to see what happens with the coffee girl.

    I love blue nails, and yea, by the time I'm done with my last nail, my first one is dry so I just keep on going.

    Hebah, the last one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the last season of Monk on sale, and I need to watch it. I loved that show.

    Anisah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anisah, it's really good. I miss it now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo!! really nice french manicure you have ;-)
    I learned to do it myself years ago when I was a student and couldn't offered to go to the salon often hehe but I never learn how to put the white polish as in the tutoriel, I do it the easy way in the other direction so i don't have to clean after hehe I'm a lazy girl ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!