July 13, 2011

Insomniac


Well, I wouldn't go so far as to make that diagnosis, but I've been having trouble sleeping lately. This is how it goes:

I'll go to bed at around 1, which isn't very late for me, in the summer. I feel tired. I'll then toss and turn for about an hour. I'll think about the day, think about what I need to do tomorrow. I glance at my phone for the time. I do that, if I sleep now, I'll get 6 hours sleep thing, and since I'm holding my phone,  I'll just check my email. Oh and, while I have it I'll take a quick look at Facebook. Then I end up tapping links and before I know it, it's an hour later and I'm wide awake. I figure, well, since I'm not sleeping, I'm not going to waste any more time lying here. I get up and clean or even bake sometimes. By then it's past fajr and I'll try to go back to sleep. It's light out. I put on my sleep mask. It starts to annoy me, so I take it off. I try to arrange the blanket so it's covering my eyes but I can still breathe. Ok, deep cleansing breaths. After changing positions eleven times, I eventually fall asleep. I'll get about 2 or 3 hours sleep before I hear the kids up. Once I'm up I can't fall back asleep easily. I go through the day kinda sleepy but try to resist a nap thinking: Yea, I'll be good an tired and sleep through tonight, for sure! Nope, a similar version of the night before happens and I end up awake most of the night.

I don't know what to do. I know I should charge my phone on the other side of the room for a start. I've tried counting, warm milk (yuck), pretending to sleep to trick myself. I might try sleeping pills. I go through cycles, like sometimes I'll sleep really well every night and sometimes it's like this. Any advice?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:39 PM

    SA,

    Be cautious with caffiene. I know that now I am pushing 40, I can only handle one cup in the morning or I will be up all night long. Also cut off all electronics (nooooo!) - perhaps at dinner for the evening. Then create a ritual bed time routine - read a nice book and hot bath or whatever. That should help insh'Allah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, insomnia is awful! I've had it horribly since about August last year. Absolutely nothing works for me except an absence of stress of any kind, which is of course basically impossible! Reading a real book (not an e-book) helps me when the insomnia isn't too bad.

    Hopefully yours subsides soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon, Aliakum alsalam, Yea I don't drink coffee often, sometimes tea but not daily. I like the idea of a routine, sounds cozy and relaxing. Thanks!

    Bri, Yea I'm like a child sometimes, like if I'm doing something fun the next day I can't sleep. So pathetic. Yea reading does me in, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Try to pray 2 rakaa,keep room dark and keep the phone away from you.Good luck.


    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. A warm shower or bath usually works for me :-) Ramadan Kareem

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!