July 26, 2011

Faux-reos

Yesterday, I was in the baking mood, as I often am. I'd seen these on Pinterest several times and decided I was going to try them. They are homemade Oreos.






























Ingredients

For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar [depending on how sweet you want the cookies, I used 1-1/4]
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg
For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (I don't have that here so I used all butter and it worked fine)
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat to 375°F.
In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass





























Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough.(I flattened them pretty good) Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.



I set up each cookie with a same size cookie buddy.

To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.


























To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream. Dunk generously in a large glass of milk.






























I'm gonna say that these, while delicious, weren't really a copy of Oreos. Still yummy and pretty easy to make though. Recipe link here.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments on my blog =) You're so sweet, as always! And gosh these look sooo yummy. Honestly, I wish I had the skills like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Faux-reos" LOL You are hilarious! It literally had me LOLing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shahirah Elaiza, Thanks but it's not skills really, just following directions.

    Ruby Tuesday, thanks, they were even better the second day for some reason.

    Umm Aaminah, lol, glad you liked what I did there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im from Hurghada also and been looking for baking soda. Whats the name for it in arabic so i can explain to my husband?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm Ali, cool! It's called bicarbonate sodium. Sometimes I find it in those spices with the purple cap in the supermarket or I've heard the spice shops sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As-salaamu'alaykum my dearest sis,
    OH man!! I suppose I should wait for iftaar to visit your blog. These look sooo scrumptious!! I didn't even know it's possible to make homemade oreos.. insha'Allah I'd like to try them one day, maybe for Eid :)

    Do you know how many they'll make approx.?

    Thank you for sharing.
    Love Farhana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sketched Soul, Salam, I'd say the recipe made between 35-40. Varying depending on the size of your cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!