June 8, 2011

Quick Abaya Sleeve Re-Do

I love this abaya, you can see it here.  I've had it for about a year and The only think I'd change about it is the sleeve. It's too wide and  gets in the way. I decided I was going to change it. I thought of sending it to ttailors to make the sleeves more narrow, but then I got an idea.  I can't explain it so I'll show you. Here's what I did.

Here's the sleeve as it was

I had this ribbon, so I pinned a large safety pin to the end.

I snipped a small hole with nail scissors on the inside of the seam at the end of my sleeve.

I fed the ribbon through around the edge of the sleeve, using the safety pin to guide it, and tied a bow.

And this is the result.  I have another abaya with this kind of sleeve so that's what gave me the idea. 

I really like the way it turned out.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful, purple is one of my favorite colors.. so is pink! I love this abaya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, that was a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, Thanks. It's currently my favorite abaya, light for the summer.

    Khadra, thanks!!

    Melissa, thank you, I'd like to think so, simple as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute and a seriously smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer@TheFeminineDomain, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I love that abaya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:14 AM

    I think it works muuch better with your sleeve design!! Great idea Mona.
    lizze

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...that was so creative! I don't have creativity like that in me. I wish I did. I love sewing, art, etc...but I'm not good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HijabiMommy, Thanks, me too.

    Lizze, Yea since it was wide, thanks.

    Sabirah, Keep at it, as long as you enjoy it, that's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tahasmum10:38 PM

    Love it! I don't wear abayas, but I have a tunic or two that could use this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tahasmum, Yea I should have mentioned it but I guess it goes without saying that it'll work with wide sleeves of any top, even short sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cool and trendy ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Assalamu Alaikum!
    Wow! Mashallah! I am looking forward to doing an Abaya Refashion too!
    I really liked your blog.
    Nice posts, Mashallah!
    Keep up the good work!

    Do visit my blog too!

    Alia
    http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yellowmango, thanks!!

    Alia Dalwai, aliakum alsalam, Thank you, I'll be looking for it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tahasmum7:49 AM

    Hey are you OK? You haven't posted in quite a while... insha Allah everything is fine..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tahasmum, thank you for asking! I was just away and then had no internet for a bit. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!