May 18, 2011

Attention Muslimah Bloggers



If you receive an email from a Carolyn Kauffman, don't fall for it. She isn't being malicious but she was dishonest about her intentions. She's emailed me and one other well known Muslimah Blogger so it's probable she's emailed others. 
 At first she seems genuinely curious about Islam. Here's here first Email:

Hello,



My name is Carolyn and I'm from Australia. I recently found your blog and it was very interesting to read it. You are a very good writer, and I appreciate your strong convictions and your stand for what you believe as the Truth in a world that is falling apart. Although I am not Muslim, I have many similar values.
   I am interested in Islam and in people who believe in it...I have been studying it for a few months, and I'd love to hear from you personally, if you have time. I am a follower of Jesus and I would love to hear your opinion on Him, how you view Him, etc. If you don't mind me asking questions--I have a few specific things that I'm wondering about. Have you been a Muslim all your life or are you a convert? Also, how does it work...like right now, do you have assurance that Allah has forgiven your sins and that you are saved? Do you know for sure that you are going to heaven? I am very curious...because I have studied Islam some, but I would enjoy interacting with Muslims more and learning more of what they believe.
  I hope to hear from you soon. Hope you don't mind if I have lots of  questions or things to say. :) Thank you! Carolyn Kauffman

The second time, she's pretty obviously proselytizing and you can read for yourself:


Hi Mona,
Thanks so much for getting back to me! I'm excited to "meet" someone that I can ask questions to, talk to, etc.
When you talk about Jesus not being the son of God, are you talking a physical son?. As followers of Jesus, we do not believe that He was the physical son of God, and that he was actually born out of a physical relationship between God and Mary. Rather, the Spirit of God gave her the power to conceive. His was a supernatural birth...and was not a result of a physical relationship. The "son of God" is actually a metaphorical term and represents the relationship between Jesus and God (maybe the term Ibnu's Sabil [son of the road-traveller] would be a good comparison to what I'm talking about). Jesus is as the servant of God--and was sent to the earth to offer salvation to mankind--to make us "sons of God" as well! He died as a sacrifice for our sins, was buried and rose again, and today He is living! We serve a living God and we can have a relationship with Him! I think that is so exciting. I'm not sure if this makes sense or not....
   Wow....I think it's so sad that you can't know for sure that you are saved, that you are forgiven for sins, and that you will have eternal life! I know that I am going to heaven, because Jesus has forgiven me, and He is the king of my life!! There are some beautiful verses in the Bible that tell us:
1John 5:11-15 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
  This is only one of many verses that give us this assurance. Another one is in Acts. Acts 10:43 --To him (Jesus) all the prophets give witness, that through his name everyone who has faith in him will have forgiveness of sins.
   I think it's so beautiful that we can have this assurance of salvation--and it's found through Jesus. He said in John 14:6: "I am the WAY, the TRUTH, and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me."    Of course I'm curious to hear your perspective on this as well.
  I hope you don't mind all these questions....this email got longer than what I was expecting. :)   Thanks Mona! Have a great day--Carolyn
 You can see that she's already preaching and quoting scripture. She also says she hopes I don't mind all the questions. What questions? Saying that it's sad that I don't have the assurance of Heaven, etc. How offensive. Sorry Carolyn, I know you believe it to be your duty to "save" us but, no thanks. :)

10 comments:

  1. Assalaam waliekum.
    I never received an email from her.
    This is the attitude I dislike about Christianity: they talk of this salvation and following a Prophet but they nullify it all by worshiping a man(Jesus pbuh didnt create himself, God created Jesus pbuh), not God without partners.
    Then they basically assume that everyone is going straight to Hell for NOT worshiping part of the God's Creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she just replied and told me she just wanted a genuine friendship thing, which is bullshit because we both know she pretty much copied and pasted her 2nd email, word for word, to us. how is that a genuine conversation when she is just pushing the EXACT same topic to different individuals?

    if it was a genuine email of interest i would have no problem but its obvious she has a specific intention contrary to what she first stated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear....

    Sadly these kind of people do exist. I just hate how they approach others with false intentions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salaam,

    I and a couple of other Muslimah bloggers had the same thing but from a different user. Same MO -- e-mails about wanting to be "friends" and wanting to know more about Islam -- so we checked her story and she says who she says she is (name and from where) but the only thing is, we never heard of a Muslim woman belonging to an extremist Christian group LoL

    JazakiAllahKhayr for the warning and inshaaAllah no one gets played!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:26 PM

    Hi everybody,

    You are right, Mona. Reading across my email, it does look dishonest(although I did not intend that at all!), and I want to apologize for not making my words and intentions clearer. I did not at all mean to give the impression that I was genuinely interested in Islam...I mean, I am...but only because i am interested in the hearts of the people and in discussing things/beliefs with people,and asking them questions, instead of just reading and studying about it. I'm sorry I didn't come across that way. I was definitely overzealous,and didn't clarify myself very well at all, and I can see why it turned you off. I'm sorry!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail, I don't like to generalize because we all know that sucks but most Christians I know don't push religion on me.

    Ange, True, it's obvious to anyone.

    Shahirah Elaiza, Yea, oh well, just thought we'd let you all know.

    Alia, Odd, yea I think most of us are too smart to fall for it.

    Carolyn, you didn't address the fact that you approached 2 (or more) people with the same thing? That doesn't sound genuine especially when it's word for word. Thanks for the apology and I appreciate you giving your side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:40 PM

    Yes, that's where I meant I was obviously overzealous. I've been thinking for a while about ways to contact muslims, and when I had an idea, I went for it full-fledged and began talking to people.

    Again I'm sorry...I could've been a lot more tactful. :)

    Thanks. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carolyn,

    May I ask if you are actually friends with Muslim women in real life? Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to extend a true friendship of mutual respect for Muslim women in your area. I think you would learn a lot more about how we live in submission to God rather then through a simplified debate on scripture. I find that whenever I know little of certain people there is a chance I may build a false judgement and assumptions about what they believe. In this case the best route is to fight this lower desire and challenge our lower selves and get to know people for who they are.

    I bet you will be better received and learn a lot more. Please take care and all the best!

    Is-za

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:32 AM

    I'm sad to see that this went on Mona. It bears pointing out that this type of behavior is more indicative of a particular type of Christian, not ALL Christians. Both those inside as well as outside the umbrella title of Christianity get this kind of "testifying" every single day.

    I am christian and find it incredibly offensive to be told that because I don't subscribe to particular aspects of their sect of Christianity, that I'm going to Hell. I can't imagine my quite visceral reaction would be less if the person saying it were insulting my entire belief system at the same time! Ugg

    Interestingly, some of the valid questions your blogger friends have regarding birth circumstance and the exact nature of Jesus are still hotly debated among the most reputed christian scholars.

    Thoughtful minds do not blindly accept what ever is tossed at them simply because it is there. They contemplate, research and weigh the evidence as they see it, and then follow the path that is the most true to them.

    All of the Muslima bloggers I've encountered follow that well-worn and respected path. Please know that not all Christians are so close minded nor insulting.

    Some days, I have my doubts that Jesus would recognize the message that many spread in his name. Sadly, I suspect this might be true for many of God's prophets.

    Lizze

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lizze, Yea it was weird. I suppose some people feel the need to proselytize in anyway possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!