April 12, 2011

The Book vs The Movie

The other day I picked up 2 books from the used book place. I haven't found anything I like in a while so I was glad to see 2 familiar titles. Thankfully I haven't seen either movie.


I'm half way through Slumdog. It's well written and keeps me interested but there's a lot of ugliness in the story. I'll probably watch the films after reading these.

I hate reading a novel after seeing the movie. I'd seen The Time Traveler's Wife and enjoyed it but later read the book and loved it. The problem was that I couldn't help picturing the characters as they were in the movie. I'd rather imagine Henry not automatically see him as Eric Bana. After seeing The Lovely Bones I still want to read that book though.  The Secret Life of Bees' movie was well done, I think. The Devil Wears Prada had many differences but still enjoyable.  Atonement was an interesting movie but a bit of a boring read. The Namesake  was an amazing book but the movie fell very short.

Read any good books lately? What film adaptations do you think were true to the book? Any movies better than the book?

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read any book that are related to movies but I watched Slumdog and it is also full of ugliness, but I loved it :)
    I also watched shutter Island. Very confusing, the best thing about it that is has Leonardo DeCaprio :)
    Hope the book is better than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the Shopoholics Series by Sophie Kinsella. If you want comedy you'll like it. I always prefer the book to the movie- movies have budgets and time limits so they can't fit everything from the book into their script.

    If you have a goodreads account you can display a widget on your blog showing the latest book you're reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like the books better. After reading the books, it's fun to see what the movie is going to be like, but many times, the movie versions really make me mad because they leave out parts of the book or put in parts that have nothing to do with the book.

    Have you read any Jodi Picoult books? They're very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:54 PM

    The book, The Lovely Bones is SOOO much better than the movie! I read the book first and then was disappointed with the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. N, Leo Decaprio, is an amazing Actor. Seen Inception?

    Londoneya, I've seen some of those books at the used book place, thanks for the tip. Yea, the book is always better, a movie just like a book would be too long.

    Hijabi Mommy, Yea I agree, I guess they have to do what they feel will bring in more money? I don't know but it's interesting to see how they handle it.

    Anonymous, wow, and I loved the movie. Beautiful and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim C7:30 AM

    Reading The Lovely Bones was chilling...I literally experienced goosebumps regularly. I haven't seen the film yet, but you should definitely read the book...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh you will enjoy Shutter Island - it's very dark!

    I LOVED The Other Boleyn Girl book, but the film was awful. Same with The Da Vinci Code, they practically made up most the film and forgot the really important bits!

    Same with A Time To Kill by John Grisham. Stunning book - awful film.

    As a mother - the books by Sophie Hannah are chilling to the spine. But if you like more crime thriller type things give Lisa Gardner and Brian Freeman a go. Those last two are so good I can finish the book over a weekend!

    Enjoy :) OB x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim C, I thought the movie was amazing so the book must be even better.

    TheOmaniBrit, Just starting SI now.
    Really? I liked A Time To Kill, gotta read that then. Thanks for the recs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you can handle Drama, i think you will enjoy reading My sister's keeper, and after that you can watch the movie. you will enjoy both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ze2red, I saw that movie, I'd still like to read the book. Bawled my eyes out through the film.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!