April 2, 2011

Baked Macaroni and Cheese



Yesterday I decided to make some baked macaroni and cheese. I found this recipe, had a lot of good reviews and it sounded delicious. It's an Alton Brown recipe, and I usually like his stuff.  The sauce take some time but it's totally worth it. Here's what you need:

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni (I just used a standard bag)
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon powdered mustard (I didn't have the powder but I had mustard seed, so I whizzed it in the food processor)
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 large egg
  • 12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (You can vary the kinds of cheese you want)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I just had regular table salt)
  • Fresh black pepper

Topping:

  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs (These are japanese, coarse bread crumbs, don't have them here but I used regular, I'm sure it would be better with the panko but you can also coarsely chop croutons for the same effect)
  • Combine these 2 and set aside for topping.
Of course, you cook your pasta as usual first.


First, you melt the butter

After it's bubbled, then you add the flour and whisk it.

Add the mustard powder, keep whisking, making sure there are no lumps. About 5 minutes.

This is what it looks like at this point.

Add the milk, paprika, bay leaf and onion and whisk. Let it simmer on low for 10 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf, if you'd like strain it to remove the onion. I liked the flavor but didn't want the onion texture.

Whisk the egg in a small bowl

Temper it by adding a couple of spoons of the sauce mixture to the egg, so you don't end up with scrambled eggs in your sauce. Whisk it in then add it to the sauce again.
Stir in 3/4 of  your cheese
 CREAMY

Combine with your pasta in a baking dish

Top with the remaining cheese, then the breadcrumb/melted butter mixture

Fully topped, bake for 30 minutes.

After it's baked it comes out crispy and crunchy on top and creamy inside. 



This was the best Mac and Cheese I've ever had and will be my go to recipe from now on. I wanted to take a picture of it plated up but hungry buggers finished it too fast.

11 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! Now I want some!!!!!! And it's only 9 a.m. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks GOOD! I've always wanted to try a baked mac and cheese dish. Will have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm, homemade mac and cheese. The first time I made it I used the powdered mustard and aboslutely hated it. The second time I made it, I left it out and still wasn't convinced. I think the third time I need to try a different cheese blend, instead of just all cheddar.

    I'm going to try baking it like this version. Sounds yummy. Love Panko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Perfect autumn baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God you posted this! I've been looking around for a good mac and cheese recipe to make one from scratch. The crunchy bit at the top looks very inviting .. mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love macaroni & I love cheese. And I love the fact you shared this recipe with us! Thanks sis! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um Aaminah, Lol, nothing wrong with that!

    My Little World, they probably will, my kids loved it.

    Hijabi Mommy, let me know if you do, it's worth the time.

    Amnah, Yea, sharp cheddar and gouda would be good.

    Bri, you must be Aussi. ;)

    Shahirah Elaiza, yea, my son kept trying to scoop more topping.

    Hajar, no problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delicious!! I need to find a mac n cheese recipe that doesn't use butter. My husband will never let me buy butter. I also need to find panko in Dubai. I'm not sure if they sell it here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sabirah, Thanks, wow, why no butter? Butter is wonderful! If you don't find it do the chopped crouton thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks good. My mom use to make this all the time. In Barbados they call is Macaroni Pie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!