February 21, 2011

Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On

The other night we had an Earthquake! It was kind of scary but not terribly so. Alhamdulillah it wasn't too strong. Nothing got knocked over or broken or anything. It was a 4.9 on the Richter scale.

I was lying in bed, awake. I couldn't sleep. All of a sudden the bed started to shake. It lasted about 2-3 seconds. I know this because that's the amount of time it takes to say Bismillah Alrahman Alraheem 2 times which is just what I did. Several thoughts went through my head. This is an earthquake. The building is falling. The kids are going to wake up scared. I'm going mad. Thankfully only the first thought was true. The kids slept through it. After it was over, I started to doubt myself. Did that just happen? I looked up earthquake sites and got nothing. I called my husband in Poland on business and he was like "Are you sure?" Maybe a big truck drove by" Lol, I'm like the bed was shaking!  I couldn't fall asleep, then I thought Twitter! I searched there and found that some other people felt it too. Ahh, not crazy. Good! 

In the morning I spoke to friends and my mom and some people felt it while others slept through. I've never felt an earthquake before and it turns out there was an after shock later that morning but I was  in a deep sleep and had no clue. Can't say I want to experience one again or anything and it's odd but it was scary but an interesting experience.

11 comments:

  1. Earthquakes are scary, I experienced one in Egypt and one recently in Kuwait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt on a few years ago when I was at my cousins house - she lives on the 9th floor and we were on the balcony at the time - it was pretty scary, the buildings were swaying! But it only lasted seconds. Very weird experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, that must have been freaky to say the least... Alhamdulillah you and the kiddos are alright... Another reason to get some deep sleep at night, huh? Was that before or after we were chatting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. JessyZ, Yea, for sure.

    Amalia, That sounds really scary. I was lying down in bed so the least scary position I think. To be standing, plus in high balcony...yikes.

    Eman, it was after. About 3:30 am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary! Alhumdulilah it was only a small one though and the kids didn't wake up and nothing got broke, no one got hurt.
    Are they common there where you live?

    I was in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, so scary...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, Not common as long as I've been here. Almost 7 years. First quake I've ever felt. Alhamdulillah thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently there was one in Malaysia too but it wasn't major. It was the day after Christchurch's earthquake.

    =/

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I lived in Japan I experienced several. One cracked my dining room window. Scary stuff!! Glad you guys are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I know exactly what you went through, doubting yourself at first, wondering if it ever happened. I remember my first earthquake was around eleven years ago, twice in the same month - the first time I just thought a train had passed and that's why the furniture was shaking (it happens in the UK) then I realised it was an earthquake. The second time I was in the country club and the floor started shaking and I felt so vulnerable and helpless, totally not in control, and at the mercy of nature, and God's power.

    Thank God you are all OK. I didn't feel anything in Cairo...It's funny, I always arrange things on my dresser in a way that they won't fall to the ground and break if an earthquake happens. Like my camera gear is protected in a solid box, etc....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shahira, I'm praying for the people affected by the Christchurch quake.

    Khadra, that would completely freak me out.

    Londoneya, thanks for understanding, I was seriously doubting myself. It does really make you think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "maybe a truck drove by" LMAO Im sorry sis but that made me laugh out loud. Alhamdoolilah you and the family are safe :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!