February 18, 2011

Cleaning Up Hurghada

Today, while out at a cafe on the promenade with my friend, we noticed some people organizing near by and they had paint cans and drop cloths. I was so proud I almost cried. I was just there last night saying someone should do something about all the graffiti on the wall. They were about 15-25 and more and more were coming. I asked about their organization and found out they have an event page on Facebook .

They were painting over all the vandalism on the wall, repainting the yellow and black stripes on the curb and cleaning up trash. Zayneb wanted to help out and painted some curbs. She ruined her favorite jeans and doesn't even care. She felt so proud of herself and to be a part of something like this. I joined the event on FB and encourage anyone else in Hurghada to do so as well. 

I thought about what I said the other night, that "someone" should do something about the graffiti. Instead of just saying it, these people actually took action. They organized a group and did something themselves. They are the hope and change I see in this country. My friend and I felt really bad just sitting there and not helping, all we could do is buy them some cold drinks. I will definitely be taking part in the projects to come.

Painting the wall, I hope no one dares mess it up again!

Endless cigarette butts.

A fresh coat

Zayneb pitching in.

Thanks for what you all did!

9 comments:

  1. Masha'Allah sis....that's so beautiful to see!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes they were doing that here too :) it's so nice to see this happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm Aaminah, It really is.

    Amalia, I agree I hope people don't lose momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masha'allah, it's great seeing young people taking pride in their country! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asalamu alaikum, Im sorry, I know this is irrelevant but please I would like you to take 5 minutes to make a post about whats happening to the people of Libya. They have been under attack by their own ruler Gaddafi who is sending people from Chad to butcher them and kill them. Please make a post on your blog and raise awareness as there has been no media coverage on whats happening in Libya. Here is a link to my post, if you want, copy and paste it but please remember to pray for them. Tell all your friends to make a post of their blog. JazakAllah khairan. May ALlah be with our brothers and sisters in Libya.

    http://princesshegab.blogspot.com/2011/02/pray-for-libya.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. HijabiMommy, It is, mashaAllah.

    SaraBintMuhammad, May Allah be with them, it's really horrible what is happening there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam alaikum sister Mona,
    I am awarding your blog with Stylish Blogger Award.
    If you are not too busy,please visit my blog for more details.
    http://rialive.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/stylish-blogger-award/
    Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rialive, sorry so late with this, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is soOOOOO great!!! I am so happy people are/have been doing this. Inshallah I hope they keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!