November 21, 2010

Luxor Part I

Our Eid trip to Luxor was very relaxing and fun. Luxor is so green and lush compared to Hurghada so it was a nice change of scenery and of course the Nile is always a great view.  I have so many pictures, I'm going to make this a 2 part post.  I'll let the pictures and captions do the rest.

Almost there...
Luxor is famous for the horse drawn carriages.

The view from our hotel room balcony.

Another angle.

The kids can't wait to go to the pool.

This reminded me of that Tom Petty/Alice In Wonderland video

The pool is floating in the Nile.

View from the pool side.

From the hotel room you can see hot air balloons, (we go the next day!!)

This was Eid day we went to see some Temples on the West Bank, so over the bridge we went.

From the bridge.

Colossi of Memnon

It's a long walk to the Temple of Hatshepsut. It was pretty hot, I can't believe people come in July.

The Temple of Hatshepsut.

Habo

Finding some shade.



The columns had carvings of names and dates from the 1800's and more.

The pigeons have made a home up there.

The colors here are amazing.
Temple of the Nobles, I think....I'm not huge on this stuff, yea it's something to do and interesting to see but you see one temple, you've seen them all, I say.

This fallen statue reminded me of Lost. That shows you how much I know about pharohs and all that.

The girls

Climbing is fun.


Salwa near some tomb type deals.

I'll post pictures from our hot air balloon ride and more tonight or tomorrow. Blogger takes forever to upload pics.

13 comments:

  1. wow the pictures are great! I went to Luxor a few years back and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress is so pretty mashAllah :))))

    I've been over 10 years ago. It was the best time I had in Egypt ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salaam sis, was gonna say the same thing, loved your abaya! :-)

    Insha'Allah one day we can visit Egypt; I'll ask A when we go to Tunis if we can make it a tour of the upper continent. ;-)

    Ma salaama....

    ReplyDelete
  4. MONA!!! No no no! This is so special!

    I studied ancient egypt for yrs, and my one dream (really it is) is to see hatshepsut's Temple. Oh my! I have studied the ins and outs of everything Hatshepsut!

    Wish I had been there!

    One day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. mona dear,

    O.M.G - love your eid outfit. (hahahah trust ME to comment on that first).

    and ohhhhhhhhh i love the pictures of the temples and everything.

    can't wait for the 2nd instalment.

    don't you just love getting away? i do. i love getting away on the weekend (or just a few days) away with just us - me, the husband and the daughter and spend some quality time together. our next getaway is in 2 weeks' time and I just can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and yes of course you look great!!! (momentary insanity over Hatshepsut!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Beautiful photos Mona! Even better memories inshallah... Luxor is the place to be in the winter, so beautiful and surrounded with history. Mashallah Everyone looks great, glad you got to spend some quality time with the family...Miss you all...hugs, love Eman

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. I wish I can visit Eygpt one day. Love the hijab, it perfectly blends with the Abaya's color.
    Glad you had good times. Welcome back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool trip! The weirdest thing was that I was just watching a movie and the people were on a hot air balloon ride and I was thinking, man I wanted to do that and now I might not. My husband and I are moving to Dubai. Are hot air balloon rides in Egypt cheaper than in the U.S.? That would be pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amalia, thanks! It's a nice place to visit.

    Organica, thank you :) I hope if you ever come for a visit we can meet up someday.

    Umm Aminah, thanks, It's a new color for abayas for me :) I hope you do!

    Houda, oh Sorry, Passionate historians get mad at me :) and thanks for the compliment.

    Kit Pryde, Thanks, I was hesitant about the green, but said what the heck, green it is. I do love getting away, it's the few days after that you feel lazy that I hate :)

    Eman, thanks, it really was nice.

    Dr. N, I hope you get to come inshaAllah, thanks, Call me miss matchy.

    Sabirah, I don't know how much it was but I'm sure it's cheaper than in the US. I wonder if they have it in the UAE. Might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL @ Houda's comment "temporary insanity".

    You lucky, lucky lady! Luxor looks amazing from your photos so I bet it's 100x better in real life. What was the occasion? You and your family look beautiful as always, Mona.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shahirah Elaiza, The occasion was Eid of course! Thank you sweet girly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Mona, your pics are amazing!! Really have to come back and visit Luxor i'A

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!