October 15, 2010

Yummy Salad?

It used to be, for most part the phrase "Yummy Salad" was an oxymoron. I thought salad was boring and the opposite of yummy. Now I love it! Now that I'm not eating everything and anything in huge portions and at any time, I really enjoy a nice big salad.

Photobucket

Here this was my yummy salad. It includes:
  • Iceberg lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Mushrooms
  • Yellow peppers
  • Tomatoes 
  • Cucumbers
  • Shredded carrots
  • Grilled chicken breast


Dressing:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Juice of one lemon
Salt
Pepper
Chopped  fresh cilantro
Chopped fresh basil

If I was to add anything, maybe a little bit of shredded cheese. This is now one of my favorite things to eat. I had it for lunch with my cool friend Jujey yesterday and then later made this delicious Tomato Basil Soup.

Some of my other favorite things to eat are:

Low fat yogurt with musli and honey
Sliced granny smith apples with a slice of cheddar or a Tbsp of peanut butter
Roasted cauliflower with garlic and parmesan

Anyone have a low fat/calorie meal or snack to share?

9 comments:

  1. Assalamu alaikum,

    My new all time favorite food is sweet potatoes. Chock full of nutrients, just a little bit sweet.

    I chop them up however the mood strikes, and then roast in the oven with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Great for eating straight out of the oven, and also decent reheated later.

    And speaking of salad, my salad this week was spinach with reheated roast sweet potatoes on top. Uber tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salads. I hate making them though. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i watch my carbs and my fav snacks are string cheese, nuts, hard boiled egg, berries. i also eat at least one big salad a day for a meal...i like organic baby greens, craisens, cherry tom, goat cheese, apples and nuts mmmm so good...sometimes i add chix to it depending on my mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you post the cauliflower recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:18 AM

    Your salad looks very good,did you figured out how many points?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm Squeakster, I love sweet potato too!

    Stephanie, I used to think they were the most tedious part of making dinner because I didn't care about them. Now I put the effort in to make it good and make it worth eating.

    The Mrs. I like string cheese, what's chix? The cauliflower is simple. Just take one head of cauliflower or some frozen and put it in a bag with 2 tbsp of olive oil 4 crushed cloves of garlic and salt & pepper to taste. Shake it all up and spread on a baking sheet for 25 mins, turning them over half way through.

    Anon/Mom :) Thanks I figured it as 5, 4 for the chicken cooked in a little oil and the oil in the dressing is 1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mashallah, that salad looks fab! Can I come over?
    I like your attitude.

    When I crave something sweet, I will put a chopped apple in the microwave and sprinkle it with cinnomin, delicious, hot and satisfies my sweet tooth.

    I also like putting fruit yogurt in the fridge for when i need something cold and creamy

    by the way? where did you get your points list, how do you know how many points?

    love eman

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh mona i tried that cauliflower recipe of yours tonight and it was delish...def will be making a weekly appearance in our house now :) chix=chicken haha i used to wait tables while in high school and i forget people don't know some of the abbreviations

    ReplyDelete
  9. the mrs. Ah, it's good stuff. I figured that, wasn't sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!