September 3, 2010

Fasting Is Not That Complicated

I can't understand why some people make the deen difficult. I've heard so many weird things that people think voids your fast in Ramadan, it's just ridiculous.

A friend of mine was taught that you can't remove hair during Ramadan days, like threading and waxing etc. What? Why? It's not true. Some people think you can go swimming while you're fasting because water might enter your body some how. Well, it wouldn't be intentionally so what the heck? Most fasting people don't go to the beach during the day because it's hot and you'll be thirsty but It's not forbidden. What about diving instructors or swim coaches? Should one not shower because water might get in your mouth? Silly, I say. Inhalers don't invalidate fasting either. It's going to your lungs and ummm helping you breathe!

Some more stupid things people have asked (on a site) if they invalidate fasting:
  • Bee/scorpion stings
  • Acid reflux
  • Suppositories
  • Popping pimples?!
  • Hugging your wife
  • Vaccinations
  • Eye/Ear drops
Allah made Islam easy. Why do people make it hard? I know the people asking are asking out of ignorance and want to be sure not to do anything to invalidate their fast but lets use some common sense. The things that invalidate one's fast are as follows:

  1. Eating and drinking
  2. Intercourse
  3. Things that take the place of eating and drinking, such as injections that provide nourishment
  4. Vomiting deliberately
  5. Menstruation and postpartum bleeding in the case of women
(Some people believe donating blood and cupping invalidate the fast because it will make you weak)

10 comments:

  1. It seems people are bound and determined to make the deen difficult which really goes against the sunnah of the Prophet saw. Unfortunately many Muslims are caught up in the haram/halal debates and forget the spiritual aspect of Islam which is what really makes it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaam sis; you are right about that. It amazes me the things people say. It's about as crazy as people who say they refuse to let the nurse use alcohol rubs to disinfect their skin before shots because it's...alcohol. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. assalamu alaykum sis, about the blood letting, just wanted to show the hadith to clarify:

    The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The cupper and the one for whom cupping is done have both invalidated their fast.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2367; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 2047.

    Donating blood comes under the same heading as cupping, because it affects the body in the same way.

    I know that to some ppl such things seem stupid, but recently I was aksing my husband if giving blood for testing was allowed while fasting. And his parents subhanAllah truly believe and argue that B vitamin needles do NOT invalidate the fasting, so subhanAllah, the best thing we can all do is ask, even when it seems silly, just to reassure ourselves. It is better than be bound and determined to do what we want without checking the evidence.

    BTW love the new look :) so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People can be so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that some of the questions are silly, but don't blame them sister. People are different in the way they think, and I guess they are trying to do their best to have their fast accepted, sometimes by overdoing it!
    Taqabal Allah menna ajma3een :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, Yea, too much focus on what women are wearing and weather you can wipe over your socks etc.

    Umm Aaminah, that's silly. As if the alcohol wipe is haram? Please.

    Umm Travis, I read that a small amount of blood taken for a sample/test doesn't invalidate but a large amount like for donation does. Thanks.

    Saba, Yea I just thought some were funny and wanted to clear that up.

    Susu, Yea, I said that. Ameen.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL that first list is pretty funny! But a newcomer to Islam would probably believe such people. I was told by a friend that a convert was told that every time she had relations with her husband she had to wash her bedsheets 9 times..... and she actually did it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shahira Elaiza, Wow. She must have been relieved when she found out she didn't have to and that was just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim C1:26 AM

    Someone once told me I couldn't wear lip balm, cuz some might get in my mouth and ruin my fast. (!) I was a recent convert (revert), so I believed him until I asked an imam about it later, and he told me that lip balm was ok, even during Ramadan. I had been suffering with dry lips until I asked! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim C, See, things like that just irk me! People need to use common sense sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!