March 19, 2010

Working It Out

Ouch.

Really.

It hurts to cough, sneeze, bend down, reach, and pretty much everything else hurts too. I started a shaping class this week and while I am glad I joined, It's kicking my butt. I go twice a week and it's kind of fun.  The instructor is nice and I get the feeling she doesn't nitpick about some things with me, seeing as I'm just beginning. I did chuckle to myself when she pointed out a specific yoga ball for me. I suppose that's the super heavy duty one? Ha!






 There's about 10-12 women in the class and I'm what you'd call the opposite of her star pupil. I'm constantly looking around to see if I'm doing it right and by the time I get one thing right, she's on to the next thing. Those mirrors all over the walls? Quite telling. I don't have a big mirror at home so it was a bit scary seeing myself from every direction that way. At first I was so self conscious, worried that everyone was looking and judging. I soon realized everyone is too busy worrying about themselves and watching the instructor and I relaxed.






Hot showers and stretching help a lot but I'm hoping the extreme soreness wont last for very long. I know it means it's working and it's totally normal and expected when starting out an excersice routine, but I still have to vent a little because, ouch.

11 comments:

  1. A'salaamu alaikum sis. I tried a class once.. It wasn't even an issue of being out of shape but of my lack of grace. :-) I just stick to the elliptical machines now. lol

    Kudos for riding it out... ma salaam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm Aaminah, Yea this gym only has classes but it's good motivation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you, Mona. I'm too chicken to join a class. As you know, there are tons of women gyms here with all kinds of classes, but like I said, I'm chicken. Just wondering-is the instructor and the other people in the class Egyptian or European?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm Omar, The instructor is Russian, and most of the people in the class are European but there are a few Egyptian women in the class too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, it's hard when you first start isn't it. Good on you though - go Mona!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. M, Yea, Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been dealing with the soreness of a new exercise regime as well. I started doing Pilates with my Wii. I seriously didn't know I had these muscles around my rib cage and honestly I can't get comfortable when I am sitting. The only thing that makes me go back and do it again is the knowledge that I feel better, have more energy, and am not such a cranky me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom of 210:21 PM

    That's sounds great..even with the soreness but Insha'allah the outcome will encourage u to proceed ,it just needs some patience and persistence..
    For myself I 'd rather use my treadmill as I don't have to drive to get there "I hate driving in this mad city"and I hate dealing with Taxi drives as well.Plus I choose my own music ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chrissy, I know the ones you mean! Those are hard to reach I guess because they almost never get sore by accident. I agree, it's great, I'm also sleeping better.

    Mom of 2, Thanks yea, you're right. Something tells me even if I had a treadmill or the room for it, it would end up unused.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Assalamualaikum Mama Mona ;) Congrats on trying something new!! I'm just like you.. I worry about being a terrible beginner and what people would think, but you're right, people are usually too busy with their own moves.

    I hope your next class goes much better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shahirah Elaiza, Thanks! InshaAllah!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!