March 12, 2010

The Secret Life Of Bees



I loved this book. It's set in 1964, South Carolina. The story is about a 14 year old girl and her struggle to come to terms with her mother's death. I don't like to give a lot away but she lives with her emotionally abusive father and ends up living with 3 sisters on a bee farm. There are issues about Civil Rights and race relations as well. It also gives you a new perspective on bees. I'll never look at them the same again.

From the first chapter, I was in love. I read in in the past few days every chance I got. Finishing faster once I knew the movie was on this weekend. The imagery was beautiful and I found myself drawn to the characters immediately. I especially loved the Boatwright sisters. Their bond was so genuinely beautiful. The author has an ability to describe a scene in such a way that made me want to be there. Right in that bee farm, right in that pink house. There was a wonderful theme of female friendship and love.

I highly recommend this book to anyone. It's a wonderful story, beautifully told. I won't be returning this gem to the book-man.

***Edited to add***
I watched the movie this morning and it was very good. Of course no movies live up to the book but I found this adaptation to be fairly true to the book, with a few changes. They have to rush through some parts in order to make a movie under 2 hours. The best part was Sophie Okonedo as May Boatright. She was just as I pictured her. I loved her character so much. Dakota Fanning is a very talented young actress and was perfect for the part of Lily. Thumbs up!

14 comments:

  1. I just got done reading this! I liked it alot too. Now I'm reading "Cold Mountain" which is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 0o0o0o Ill have to pick this one up, there is a movie called the secret life of bee's is it the same story?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVCil2oSNYY

    thats the trailer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, Wasn't it great? I'll look for Cold Mountain.

    Skye, yep, the movie was made for the book but movies rarely live up to the books. I'm watching it tonight or tomorrow night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really liked this book. When is the movie on? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amalia, It's on tonight and tomorrow on OSN Supermovies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adored the film! I cried the whole way through! Lol.
    I'd really love to read though book though, may have to go in search of it when I'm next shopping xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make-up Addict, from watching the trailer, above, It did seem true to how I imagined things in a lot of ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i watched the movie...but i bet the book is way better! i will have to pick it up the next time i pass the book store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm...interesting. I tried reading that book before, but I couldn't get through the first few pages. But I trust you! I'll give it another try, sometime, insha'Allah. How awesome is that that you can find those books there. And I love those feminized t-shirts. Very nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angie Nader, inshaAllah, I can't wait to watch the movie later! I love most of the stars, Queen Latifa, Jenifer Hudson,& Alicia Keys.

    Umm Omar, Do give it another chance, it's really beautiful. Yea alhamdulillah for the book man! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the movie and like it but I've never read the book. I'm keen on reading it now =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shahirah, It's a great story either way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didn't read the book, but I did see the movie and loved it! I also loved May and Dakota is something, isn't she? That girl keeps her head on her shoulders and she'll get really far...I hope she stays straight and doesn't end up as a Child-Star has been Hollywood type...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bzmomma, yea Dakota is really talented. It would be a shame if she ended up like Lindsay or something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!