August 27, 2009

A Small Step Towards Being Green....In Egypt



Yesterday E brought our groceries home in these new cloth bags they started providing at the supermarket. I think it's great, and a big step. This makes the Red Sea the first plastic bag free Govornate in Egypt! It will take a while to really be free of plastic bags but it's a start. Plastic bags are a huge problem here, they fly all over the place and line the streets and go into the sea.
Typically plastic bags are used for only 20 minutes before being thrown out; but they will each take up to 1,000 years to rot away. During their long decay millions of bags litter and pollute our streets, the desert, and are blown out to sea where they become a toxic plastic soup that threatens the existence of marine and wild life. source

I've always saved and reused plastic shopping bags but now we have the cloth bags to bring stuff home in instead of more and more plastic! I hope people here follow through and use them. I will definitely encourage anyone I know to switch.

9 comments:

  1. salaamz sis
    thats great there bringing out the material bags

    as for my nail polish stash you dont want to know hehehehe there everywhere lol ive got a little draw stand for them but its over flowing atm.. take care sis mwa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, when I was back in England for summer we constantly kept cloth bags in the car for shopping but here I notice we use far too many plastic bags. I wonder if they will start doing this in Cairo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I have a feeling I'd like the Red Sea governate more than I did Cairo. Sounds less crowded and more progressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Cloth bags are the best! Hopefully, more and more people will use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool! In the UK this only started literally a couple of years ago and most people still use plastic bags.. it's a big problem and it's great to hear that Egypt is doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great! I need to get some cloth grocery bags...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skye, aw I imagined them in a huge closet full organized by color!:P

    Amaila, I hope they do and that people use them.

    Stacy, yea I definately like it here better, Cairo is so congested and polluted but it has it's pluses in more stuff to do and more conveniences.

    Hajar, yea, I don't know why but I don't feel a lot of people will but if it's mandated then they'll have to.

    Jaz, I agree it's a great thing for Egypt.

    Melissa, yea for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:44 AM

    I love the size of that bag Mona! I don't use the reusable ones from the store, becuase we have to buy them, and they are all so small. They don't hold as much as the big one your store has! I would use them if they were a good size like that one. I also use my grocery bags instead of garbage bags so at least I'm not being too awful.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, I reuse all plastic bags for trash as well. They gave these bags away to promote them but I imagine they'll sell them later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!