February 4, 2009

Uh Oh

Salwa has tonsillitis and was burning up so E took her to the doctors and came home with her prescriptions and 2 thermometers. One digital and one mercury. E was trying them both, the digital under his arm and the regular mercury one under his tongue. A few minutes later we noticed that the mercury one was leaking. There were several small beads of mercury on the couch. Oh no.

You can see here there's a bead of mercury inside the case, outside of the thermometer.


After a quick Google search, we cleared out the kids and I picked up the mercury with rubber gloves, tape and a business card. I put the thermometer in it's plastic case. It didn't look cracked or broken. Then it hit us. E had it in his mouth a minute before! Freaked out I did some more research and was answered with a lot of conflicting information. While mercury is known to be toxic and we learn in grade school not to touch it, many people wrote they used to play with it as kids, rolling it around in their fingers and rubbing it onto coins with no consequences. Other people complained of serious problems after mercury exposure. I'm just praying that it's fine right now because that's all I can do.

13 comments:

  1. OMG I thought those things were non existent now subhanAllah! (Another "blessing" in Egypt huh?!) May Allah protect him from any illness, ameen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! Do you have a Poison control center you can call there to talk to? I hope everything is fine inshAllah and will make dua for him! That's so scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The company I work for is a distributor of thermometers in Africa, and there is still a huge demand for mercury here esp. Sub-Sahara Africa.
    Sorry to hear about Salwa though...I was prone to tonsillitis and it's awful! She will be fine once she's gone through the whole course of meds insha'Allah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mona, inshallah khair but you should have him get it checked just in case. That must have been scary and my god you would never expect to check. praying for you may allah protect your family from harm. ameen

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is ok alhamdulillah, no symptoms. Doesn't want to go to the doctors cause he feels fine, so Alhamdulillah. Yea I don't know if there's such a thing as poison control here?

    Salwa's feeling better thanks for asking Washi, I too was prone and it sucks.

    Im thinking if this was in the States, A lawsuit could be in order...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Inshallah everything is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good they're both feeling ok. Just like a man to not want to get checked out at the doctor anyway, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mona, I asked W and he said, mercury has to be consumed in a much larger amount for it to be harmful..he also said that a few drops wouldn't cause anything. Man that was a scare, but just to let you know. From now on use a digital thermometer...remind me.:) That is so sad EGYPT! You should tell the pharmacist! so noone else has that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muslimahh, yea alhamdulillah

    Marisa, right lol!

    Eman, thanks good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. scary!
    Hope Salwa feels better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. he will be ok...i say this as a chemist!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!