February 20, 2009

Horrid Conditions

UPDATE: Thanks Cairo Wife for the numbers, I couldn't get any number to answer for SPARE and their site isn't working but I called Mona Khalil and she told me to Call Blue Moon here in Hurghada. I found their site and called them. The woman was very nice but told me there is nothing they can do. They know about that pet shop and there's nothing legally they can do. She's gotten calls about it and she said if I know anyone coming on holiday here to have them complain about it to the Egyptian consulate in their country and if enough people do then maybe something would happen. Also to give the shop owner a piece of my mind, which I plan on doing. One of the dogs pictured below looks a little like this one reported stolen on their site. I tried the number listed but it wasn't in service but I told the lady at Blue Moon that there was a similar dog there in case they wanted to take a look and see if it was her.

I feel so utterly helpless and angry about this. I was under no impression that pets in pet shops here were treated completely fairly and well, but I didn't know it was this bad.



Look at the conditions at this pet store. Those dogs are in there all day and all night. Look at the 2 larger dogs eyes. I'm not a vet but there is something seriously wrong with that. They are so red and the inside of their eyelids seem to protrude too far. Most Egyptians aren't pet people anyway so they are selling these animals to a small fraction of Egyptians and/or foreigners living here. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is ok. The kittens are 500LE each. They are all dirty and the dogs were sitting in their own waste. The little brown gerbil/hamster? 's cage is full of waste. The second picture is hard to tell but its an older cat curled up in a birdcage. I'm really angry about this and I don't know what to do.

21 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh....this is horrible! These poor animals. I bet you wanted to take them all home with you after seeing this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

    This is terrible!

    I hope something can be done about this.

    Love Farhana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalam Alaikum Mona,

    That's awful!!! And no one is going to do a thing about it... I'm not an animal lover, but seeing these poor creatures being treated this way makes me wanna cry *tear

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad! Don't poeple realize that animals are part of God's creation and need to be treated well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asalaamu `alaikum

    That is really disturbing, subhan Allah!! Animals are Allah's creation, and have rights too. If I were you, I would have it out with whoever is in charge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mona that is so so sad!
    Not sure what you can do, I think that if you were even to brought it up they would treat you like crap.
    It hurts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so wrong!!!! how dare they treat poor, helpless animals this way :( there should be an spca there or something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so wrong!!!! how dare they treat poor, helpless animals this way :( there should be an spca there or something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not an animal lover either, but this is disheartening (not really surprising, though). Could you talk to the owner? You never know, maybe he or she is an open-minded person and will listen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really feel helpless. They're not going to do a thing. What is he going to shell out thousands more to rent a big place? Medications? The strays look in better condition, they'd be better off on the street!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree it is horrible, but this is not exclusive to that one place, there are hundred in Egypt like that or worse. BUt if you want to start something to at least FEEL you are making a diffference for the sake of Allah, then talk to the owners, provide daleel from Shariah about the kind treatment of animals, at least get the owners thinking about how crappy he is. Try to not be angry and use sense, rationality, and evidence, maybe he wont change but you can start something... you can even post things up about it, and enlighten ppl in the neighbourhood of the conditions, and who knows what might happen? Just try :) It is a worthy cause, and in the end, Allah knows what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG--call SPARE animal shelter here in Cairo plzzzzzz. I cant seem to find their website right now online--darn! If you cant find it, try "daleel"--what is it...140? If all else fails, leave me a message on my blog...I have a number for one of their vets who works there each day but I want to ask his permission before giving it out. I think SPARE might take the animals or somehow make some arrangments...they have been known to just take abused animals before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you UmmTravis, it's a sad situation all around when you realize this is typical.

    CW! Thank you! I'm going to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mona here's numbers for SPARE:

    3381-3855, 012 316 2912, 016 191 7360

    and here's for another great shelter ESMA:

    U Can Contact Mrs. Mona Khalil for any informtion u need direct on 012 218 8823.

    May Allah reward you Mona!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's terrible!! My husband sees nothing wrong with the way animals are treated in Egypt. But he practically calls us murderers because we put down our old, dying animals here. It's so hard to understand how leaving animals alive but treating them like crap is better than having a suffering animal killed. Anyway. Brings up all these frustrations to see these poor animals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. God! these poor helpless things ... It's so sad to know abt it ... this is simply absurd! .... May Allah guide the ppl responsible Ameen ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sooooo sorry nothing until now can be done. May Allah reward you for your efforts. I will email you the number for the vet at SPARE tomorrow--I will call him first. We can only pray for these poor animals right now, but insha Allah, He will send help their way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Mona, I'm sorry nothing can be done. It was wonderful of you to try. Inshallah they will get help soon.v:(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely hate the pet stores here. They are disgusting and I refuse to give them money. Once in Wust el Balad off of Talat Harb there was a kitten in a cage outside that about about 20 minutes from being dead. It couldn't even keep its head up. It was a moon-face persian and it was curled up with its forehead laying on the floor of the disgusting cage and it was breathing all ragged. I wanted to buy it and save it but I figured the only thing I would do is euthanize it and on top of that I would have given those fuckers money. I wanted to beat the owners, Mr MM went in to talk to them and they didn't even care.

    I can't even look at pet stores here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks again everyone for your comments and please pray for these animals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am animal fan and i understand ur point of view, my uncle tried once to talk to pet-shop owner to improve the shop conditions but she looked to him in diguest :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!