January 26, 2009

Rice w/ Nuts & Raisins


Recipe time. I love this rice, so does everyone else here. I usually make it during Ramadan, then I was like...why? Anytime's a good time for yummy rice with nuts & raisins!

It can take some time only because I have to blanch the almonds, chop and toast. Also roast the hazelnuts, rub off the peels, chop and toast, but you can find them ready prepared.

1 cup rice
1/2 cup almonds (sliced,and toasted)
1/2 cup hazelnuts (chopped and toasted)
1/2 cup sultana raisins (regular raisins are ok too) (soaked in water and drained)
One large onion (diced)
2 cups chicken stock
butter + corn oil
salt + pepper + allspice + 3 cardamom pods +! Tbs cinnamon

( stock to rice ratio depends on your rice, use the instructions for water/rice, I like basmati.)

Sautee the onion in a couple tablespoons of oil until dark, but not burnt. Add chicken stock, (or water and a couple of bullion cubes) cinnamon, cardamom and some salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat 15 minutes till stock is dark from the onion. I like to drain the onions but you can keep them in if you want. Cook the rice, covered on low in this stock mixture.

Meanwhile, on low heat,toast the nuts in some butter and oil or just heat them up if they are already toasted. Add the raisins for a few seconds and toast till most puff up like grapes, stirring constantly.

When the rice is cooked mix in the nuts and raisins or you can serve it on top of each plate.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm...looks good! Minus the raisins though. Maybe I'll try it! What else do you make with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy Yummy I will be making this very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! I love this one!!! My friends used to make it in Dubai and I never learned how to cook it... thanx sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love rice soo much, no joke i could eat it forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is delicious. Never leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, this rice dish is a huge one with Afghans... they call it "khabli" rice. One of my best sisters here is Afghani and she makes it often.
    Is basmati easy to find there? Just when I thought I would have to ship a ton of it! It's the ONLY rice I use... let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to try this. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muslimahh, yea you can eat it with whatever, We had chicken and mixed veg. and salad

    Empress, yea Basmati is easy to find here, alhamdulillah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this would kill me.
    Im allergic to tree nuts, specifically Almonds and Hazelnuts LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!