January 18, 2009

Purge



So we're doing a massive de-clutter around here and we're maybe half way done. We are getting rid of extra stuff we don't' need or use. We finally gave away Safiyah's old crib that was taking up space, a desk and a whole pile of other stuff. Some stuff will go to the less fortunate and we threw out so much trash. Why did we still have a America Online 5.0 CD or all those old newspapers? We really didn't need that broken old fan either.

I think people like to hold on to stuff thinking, maybe one day I might need this extra screw or thingamabob and we end up with a drawer or more, full of take out menu's we never use, crusty old ketchup packets, various screws and rubber bands, a lone paper clip, etc. I said we have to be brutally honest and ruthless. If it hasn't been used in a year, it goes. Someone else can use/wear what we are just holding on to for no reason.

Kids produce a lot of clutter too. They want to hold on to every piece of paper they ever scribbled on for all of eternity. I threw out so much paper and old broken toys. You should have seen the drama every time I chucked some dumb broken peice of plastic into the trash bag. Finally we decided that the toys that were still decent but not played with would go in a bag for our neighbors cleaning lady's kids

It feels so good to be rid of the superfluous(SAT word!)items and have that much extra space. It's gotta be done at least twice a year, although admittedly I do think we accumulate way less clutter here than we did in the States. We're no where near as bad as those hoarder people you see on TV but I think that's a disease. I'll try to post pics when we're finally done.

14 comments:

  1. I hated throwing away stuff soooo much as a child. I was the biggest packrat ever. I always kept telling myself how I wish my grandmother could show me when SHE had such-and-such, so how about I just make up for saving this for my grandkids, lol. Anyway it's great you're giving what you can away to people who need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is a pack rat. Not the medical issues, we cant move in our house, type, but he keeps a lot of unnecessary junk. I have OCD (literally) and I cannnnnnnnot stand clutter. This is a source of stress for us on a regular basis. I have my moments where there will be a piece of junk somewhere in my way and I have had it with that piece of junk and I will chuck it out the front door. My poor husband has come home to chairs, animals, animal accessories, furniture of all sorts, on the front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subhan Allah! it's the same in most houses I think even we have this clutter untill it get's on my Mums nerves and we've gotta part with it atlast .... lol ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband likes to keep *everything*. He is an electronics geek and keeps every box and packaging, whether it's his motherboards, rams, a mouse, an mp3player, etc. It's a bit ridiculous that I don't have drawers to put my clothes in but he uses 9 drawers just for this useless stuff! We need a clean-up of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And when you're moving, you find ALL that stuff you were looking for months ago... needless to say, I have LOTS of stuff that needs to be put out over several days to get rid of... the garbage people are gonna hate me.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. MJ, I think keeping some sentimental stuff is fine as long as its organized and stored properly, but not junk and crap.

    Khadra, Animals? Lol!

    Ms Unique, Yea I envy those people who have such streamlined sleek houses with no clutter like something out of Real Simple.

    Candice, That's just not fair! why can't those things go in boxes in storage so you can put your clothes!?

    Empress Anisa, Oh yea, At least you'll have fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes. I have evicted several pets and their belongings (of course once I calm down they get to come in again LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not much of a pack rat. My 'clutter' are mostly books, books, and uhh books. haha~ And sentimental stuff all stacked in boxes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously need to do a major de-clutter. Clutter and stuff really stresses my husband out, then he stresses me out. I just don't know where to start, and I get overwhelmed and then stop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I moved into my recent apt we had to do a sort of "Spring Cleaning" ourselves. I am what would you say a horder. Not to the extent of the ones that you see on tv, its just very hard for me to get rid of certain things, more like everything! I, too, pitched a fit as I threw out a piece of broken jewerly worn as a child or even a pair of old jeans that havnt fit me since I was 16! Now, i cant even remember what I threw out and what I didn;t hahah

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Why did we still have a America Online 5.0 CD?"

    Because they make for GREAT frisbees in the summer lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems like I am always decluttering. I am getting better but I really used to save everything. Now I am better at getting rid of things ecery 6 months except for paper clutter. I think that info on paper is so much more valuable for some reason, like I dont trust my brain for keeping it inside my head. But I agree that once i put it away I never miss it so then it is much easier to chuck. lol on the AOL cd!

    ReplyDelete
  13. dont throw out the crib.. u may have a new baby

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a packrat, it's just hard for me to get rid of things.I can hold on to a broken purse for years.... I don't know why, I always have an emotional attachment to the silliest objects ever! Go figure.... Good luck with de-cluttering :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!