January 21, 2009

An Egypt Plus


I thought o f something really good, and I thought I should post it. The blog is in need of something positive about Egypt, with all the complaining I do...Sound the trumpets:

Supermarket Delivery!

The supermarkets here, at least in my city, will deliver your groceries for a small fee of LE4. You just call up for example, Metro and tell them, in detail, what you want. They usually bring it in less than an hour, if I call in the morning, it's much faster. They'll call you back if there's any problem, or something isn't available and suggest a similar item.

The good thing is, I don't end up buying a bunch of impulse items, just the stuff on my list. You also have the option of going to the supermarket, filling your cart, and then have them deliver it to your door. This is good if you don't want to load the stuff in your car, unload, and carry up to your apartment. I live on the 3rd floor so I do tip the poor guy who has to carry the stuff up 3 flights of stairs, especially if it's a lot of bags, but it is totally worth it. It's quick and painless, really.

Back in the day I used to use Netgrocer.com and it was ok, but they ship by UPS and the cost goes by weight so it can get pricey, plus I'd only order non perishable items. I don't know do local supermarkets deliver now?

I have to give credit where credit is due, this is definitely a plus of living here.

16 comments:

  1. I've heard of this in NY city, but unfortunately not here in my city. Sucks :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mona... they do deliver which is a beautiful thing!
    When I was pregnant with my 2nd child, Big Papi, and was working, I had NO energy to still shop on my lunch hour (that's how I used to do it) so I ordered online from my favorite supermarket, Stop & Shop, gave them my work address... and that afternoon the food was in my office!
    That IS the one nice thing about Egypt... you can have delivery for virtually everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Hw nice ... wish it was here too .... haven't heared abt it here though ... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is nice, they used to do that for me in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in Egypt, we would often enough use the services of Sayed, the doorman. My husband would just yell his name down from the balcony and then give him a (mental) list of what we wanted. Not full groceries, but small things like koshary, chips, kofta, etc. It was a nice service and we just tipped him some for it. I'd probably use the grocery service too if I was there now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is a great convenience, and yea Candice, bawabs sure are handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are soooo lucky! I so need that! If I go to the store for 3 things, I'll come out with 30!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh I need this service!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far there's only 1 local grocer that actually has it here. The service is free and there is no limit as to how many items you purchase. They even deliver gas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a neat thing to have. I think Giant delivers in my area, never tried it though since I live accross the street from the store lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm totally envious, especially in the winter or when our elevator is out of service!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's such a good idea! grocery shopping with kids must be a challenge in itself

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is handy indeed but I still do enjoy going to the supermarket sometimes. I usually just have one or two kids along so it's ok, they help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man I wish I had that
    The Grocery stores are always so cold I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wait, I googled it thanks to you and there's one at my local Safeway :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!