December 31, 2008

YUM!

The other day, I made the always yummy macarona beshamel, but with the addition of mozzarella that Ange uses, and it was SO good. Very Lasagna like.


Then I was making some plain old yellow cake and thought I'd make it special...The kids' mouths were agape! It tasted really good too, I was so proud of myself. I shared with my neighbor who's always sending over stuff. Check out the "M" silverware my mom got me.

Don't you just want a slice?
Edited to add the cake recipe:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softens (I use shortening)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375 F or 190 C, Grease and flour baking pan(s).
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt...stir together well with a whisk
In a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until creamy. Add eggs, beating well after each (this helps it come out fluffy) Blend in flour mixture alternately with milk, mixing on medium all the while (this is easier if you have a stand mixer, I have a hand held one so it's a bit harder, but it's worth it) Pour into baking pan(s) and bake for around 30 mins or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Keep an eye on it, my oven temp is wonky so I could be off on the time. It also depends on the size of your baking pan(s).

To frost, Depending on where you are, you can use ready made frosting or make do with what is available like me. I use a combination of whipping cream and confectioners sugar and a few drops of food coloring to make the frosting. Then I just put sprinkles on the sides (sprinkles or chopped nuts are always a good easy way to make your cake look good cause the sides are hard to frost perfectly) and strawberry fans on top. Easy Peasy.

11 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can't beleive you made this cake, it looks like something I could buy from a bakery store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh so good can I have recipe, I wanna make a light desert for newyears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hijabee, I know! Me either.

    Inspired, I'll edit the post to add the cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, looks too yummy! Excellent idea for frosting- gotta remember that one when I run out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay you used the cheese.. its sooo nice right?
    i had beshamel for dinner tonight too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow it surely looks yummy...I loveeeeeeee sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job, you make me proud :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Empress, thanks.

    Ange, yes, now I have to use it every time!

    Mistika, thanks..me too!

    Organica, aw..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Salaam Alaikum, found you through UmmTravis' blog :)

    Macaroni w/Bechamel became our favorite during Ramadan this year. My son especially loves it.

    Love your cake it is so beautiful and yummy looking, MashaAllah. I will try this InshaAllah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks delicious, but um, there is no way Im making strawberry fans for my kids to eat in ten seconds or less off of the top of my cake LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maryann, thanks for visiting!

    Khadra, lol, it was pretty simple but I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!