December 1, 2008

Kids


This is from last summer at Green Plaza Mall in Smouha, Alexandria.

Don't hate me but lately when I'm around friends and acquaintances that have small babies and toddlers I really say alhamdulillah. My youngest is four and I am SO glad to be out of that crying, diapering, feeding stage. It's nice to play with a little baby and tickle and peekaboo, but if he starts crying or needs a change, I'm handing him off to his mom.

I'm not saying it gets easier. As kids get older they develop a whole new slew of issues, mostly psychological. While they can use the toilet, and feed and dress themselves, they start have more emotional needs. They can start to get an attitude or GASP! A mind of their own.

Each age and stage has it's pluses and it's....not so pluses. As an infant, there are only so many things a baby wants, and alhamdulillah, most of the time my kids were OK as long as they were fed, burped, changed and all, but you do lose a lot of sleep. I do love that stage when they fall asleep on your shoulder and you just sniff their sweet little heads. Pretty soon they're pushing to get down off you and getting into everything.

As toddlers they can drive you nutso with the pulling everything down and getting into trouble. You can be literally in the middle of cleaning up one mess they've made while they're on to the next catastrophe. My neighbors 2 year old pulled a thing of 24 eggs on to the kitchen floor the other day. What a nightmare, but she, like most Egyptians, doesn't baby-proof anything so she's asking for trouble. Toddlers are funny though, watching them learn about the world around them is fascinating.

Right now my youngest, Safiyah is in a stage where she wants to be a big girl like her sisters half the time, the other half she's relishing being "the baby" of the family. She'll do a baby voice at times but it stopped being cute like a year ago. Safy is a real character and more independent minded than the others.

Salwa just started 1st grade and it's a real shift from KG, more subjects, more books and she's struggling a bit, but she'll get the hang of it. Salwa is a real sweetie, just like sugar. She's always writing me "I love you Mom, I am Salwa" notes. MashaAllah she reminds me alot of myself.

Zayneb, who will be 9 in a few months, and I have gotten to be good buddies in the past few months. She is really funny, like hilarious, compassionate and caring. She's always taking care of her little sisters and helping them out mashaAllah. That's not to say she doesn't have a melt down every once in a while.

Dawood is 10 and he's getting into that eye-rolling attitude having tween stage, but he's really a good boy and really smart. He loves math and adores soccer. He's my original buddy. When he was a little boy, maybe 2 or 3 after he did something naughty and he said sorry, he'd go "Buddy Friends?" AHH it kills me, it's so cute...Like "we cool?" I recently told him how he used to say that and he laughed and laughed.

Alhamdulillah, really motherhood is such a blessing. I only hope I can rise to the occasion.

15 comments:

  1. awwwww, masAllah. I've said it before but I can't resist saying it again: you have such GORGEOUS children masAllah!!! Reading this just made my baby fever that much worse, aaahh! InshAllah one day soon I'll my own child as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mona, you have such beautiful and lovely kids mashallah, May Allah protect them. lol @ buddy friends, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your children are beautiful mashallah! And you're so right about toddlers and messes!!! I think I spent half of today cleaning up after my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your children are pretty mona.. can i keep one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naseem The Dream9:52 AM

    awwwwww "buddy friends"...that's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mashaAllah they look so adorable! I can't wait until I am out of the diapers phase and into the buddy phase :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alhamdulillah,I feel weird saying thanks when people say "your kids are cute" or whatever, I had nothing to do with it...

    Ange, thats gonna be a no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Masha Allah beautiful kids ..... I'll need to learn alot from y'all b4 I get hitched .... haha .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your children are beautiful!!

    Im still in the diapers and crying and whining and egg pulling out of the fridge stage.

    PLEASE HELP ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms Unique...Alhamdulillah you usually have one at a time and you learn as you go inshaAllah.

    Thanks MyHijab!

    Khadra, this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. assalaamualykum
    i have to agree with everyone - your kids are gorgeous mashaAllah! my fourth baba is on the way so thanks for reminding about the good and not so good of small ones...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ayesha, congrats on your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute are your kids? Ma sha allah they're adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, thanks Jaz, Alhamdulillah.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!