January 1, 2009

Parties East vs West

Some differences I noticed here in terms of parties compared to the US. First of all I've been invited to at least 10 of these this year and not one have invited us more than 2 days in advance. By phone of course, no mail here. Some invite the day of! I don't know why that is. In the US we'd have, say a Eid party and send invite cards in the mail at the very least a week in advance and there's a thing called RSVP that no one's heard of here. Then there's the gift giving...in the US kids often open gifts during the party so people can see their reaction and it's really fun. Here the gift is whisked away never to heard of again. No thank you card/call or even a mention that the child enjoyed your thoughtful present. I suppose it's cultural because even when you go to visit someone just on any old day, you bring some cake or cookies or something, it's never brought out... they will serve you something else. It's considered bad manners because then it looks like they didn't have anything in their home to offer you exept what you brought. Kinda reminds me of a certain Marble Rye.

I guess things are different all around the world and this is no different but it's sure one of those things that make you go hmmm.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting observations!!
    2 days to get a gift for someone, nothing like being put on the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mona in spanish means 'monkey', or sometimes 'blond'.
    blond mother could mean mama mona

    (or monkey mother)

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Mona Isabel is right Mona in my country means female monkey or blonde hair girl...so now you can be call maybe the mama of those little rascals monkeys.
    I did not think this before maybe because my husband has an aunt call Mona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's lovely..Monkey..hehe..well monkeys are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty much how it works where I'm from. Excluding the short notice period. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! I love the comparisons. They never fail to make me laugh.
    1) The present thing is just weird though. I suggested a friend (WHO LIVED IN AMERICA) open her presents while we were there, and she just gives me this odd look like "poor, poor S&S. She'll never understand"
    2) I've come to accept the fact that RSVP is not only nonexistent, it cannot be taught.
    3) But not bringing on out the goodies you bought? They bring it out here. And the funny thing is, it's to show the exact same thing: We don't need your food.

    LOOOOOOL!!! What a contradictory bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving the seinfeld reference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My SIL once told me (in Syrian culture) that it is 'ayb or a shame to bring a gift or something to someone's home when they invite you. I just gave her this look. Ok, well if that is what you want to do, I am not following you. For me it is 'ayb not to take something.

    I have the issue here with so many Muslim families from school that we don't celebrate any birthdays and we have to keep telling them, no we are not attending your kids' birthday. And they look at you in shock. Sorry, did the Prophet celebrate his own birthday? Think not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how can you write a so cool blog,i am watting your new post in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!