November 9, 2008

Hurghada


I thought I'd do a post on Hurghada, the town we live in.
Hurghada is a vacation destination by the Red Sea. It's a beach town filled with European tourists on holiday soaking up the sun. I like that it's not crowded and polluted like Cairo, but the downside is that stuff is a little more expensive here than it is in Alex or Cairo. It is quite out of the way too. It's a 5 hour drive to Cairo and 7 hours to Alex. We do have sunshine all year round and relatively mild winters but we hardly ever get any rain. It's drizzled maybe 3 times in the 4 1/2 years we've lived here and while rain might make a mess of some of the roads, I really miss a good downpour.

Like most of Egypt, around the main roads and touristy areas, it's well kept and clean, and of course inside the hotels it's gorgeous, but just go into the side roads and you'll see trash on the ground everywhere and unpaved bumpy roads. There's also a lot of construction going on here everywhere. Another thing is there's not much to do here for entertainment. The beach is great in the summer but other than that there's just the promenade, sitting at cafe's and such. There's a mall opening nearby in 2009 though so we are psyched!

I do love the Red Sea though. It's the best sea to go swimming in. Warm, clear, clean and very calm. There's no waves and the water is shallow for a really long way in, so you don't have to worry about the kids and floaties. You can even sea schools of tiny fish right below you sometimes. The Red Sea is famous for divers and we've seen dolphins jumping while on sea trips. Here's a couple of pictures we took!

21 comments:

  1. assalamu alaykum!

    it is so beautiful ma shaa Allah, I am so jealous!

    My husband was telling me in shaa Allah, we might travel there next week (he has business) So tell me, are you right in the city? If we come, in shaa Allah, WE HAVE TO MEET!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UmmTravis!!!!OMG! Absolutely! Yea, were right in Hurghada. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow its looks beautiful god i wish i lived in eygpt!!!!!

    OMG SUNSHINE ALL YEAR ROUND thats soooo unfair im freezing my toes off here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MasAllah!!! Who knew Egypt could be sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea the sea is beautiful, but like I said most streets are broken and dirty, but I didn't find pics of that on the net. I could take a few from my balcony and you'd see it's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salaams
    That is just so beautiful! How nice to raise your kids near the beach... As for the bumby roads and trash just our of tourists sight - it is like that all over the world, hope it makes you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Ayesha, Alhamdulillah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. shut up shut up shut up!!!
    i will not visit your blog if you post these offensive pics again Mona!!

    we were supposed to come for a surprise trip to egypt in dec/jan but i was told we would save the money for an apartment instead so now everytime i hear the word 'egypt' i get sad...
    and now you show me these pics... how dare you Mona.. how dare you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Ange! Sorry! Forgive me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! I am jaleous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're sooo lucky to live somewhere so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alhamdulillah but for real you guys, it's not that beautiful on an everyday basis, unless you dive all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd give my left pinkie toe to live near that beach...

    MashAllah your sea looks 2868746394824 times nicer than our sea and it's the same one!! Ours is dull though.. and I don't know. Not so sparkly. And far away!!
    Now I REALLY regret not going to Egypt this summer :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I come visit you too?!??!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Molly, Please DO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. S&S, I wonder what the difference is? Maybe it's more shallow on this side? I hope you make a trip here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Asalam alikom sister..
    I love these pics...I visited Hyrgada once & in sha Allah I will go again...I always believed it's better than Sharm El Sheik...what do u think?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Umelbanat, I hope you come again, I've never been to Sharm so I can't say.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks beautiful! Expect me for a visit one day ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks beautiful! Expect me for a visit one day ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!