October 14, 2008

What I've Learned


Taken from Souvenirs and Scars. Basically, I'm trying to look on the bright side of Egypt. I already posted a list of the pros and cons some time back. Here I'll try to focus on what I've learned personally, living here, trying to see the silver lining a little more clearly, so here it goes.

  1. My cooking repertoire has grown a lot. I no longer make Rice-a-Roni or Create a Meals, or Betty Crocker rather I'm able to cook meals and bake from scratch!
  2. I can read Arabic better now, Alhamdulillah.
  3. I'm getting better at bargaining!
  4. I learned that hijab can look put together while still remaining modest.
  5. I've learned that I can choose who I associate with.
  6. I too, can make perfect popcorn in a pot, which is the only way people do it here.
  7. I know all the proper things you say at certain times and the right responses when conversing with Egyptians.
  8. I can make a bed with flat sheets pretty well, and my housekeeping skills have improved markedly.
  9. I've learned to appreciate things more.
  10. I became a blogger and have found tons of great blogs and bloggers in the process!

12 comments:

  1. bargaining - thats my problem. im still too shy to bargain... and im not a perfectionist when it comes to making beds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a microwave you can make popcorn using a paper bag or two sheets of paper folded and stapled together. :-)
    And if you really want fitted sheets your regular ole' mennagged can make them, in Alex almost all of them know how to turn regular sheets into great fitted ones for like 5 LE. You can also buy the Amriya ones they are nice Egyptian Quality cotton and were not very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ange, yes, the art of bargaining does take some courage, you have to here, or get someone to do your bidding, or you will be ripped off...just the way it is.

    JessyZ really? would the staples, being metal, cause a problem in the microwave? I have to try that paper bag idea...I'll google it. Someone actually recently told me they got elastic sewn around their sheets, I'm going to do that, and get some pillow cases made to fit our normal pillows. Most that come ready made are the long thin type, exept some I've found in Carrefour. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have said the exact same things about myself living here in Egypt. So many things have improved in my life...even though some things are worse (like services, customer service, and infrastructure), I am still happier, much better off, and more accomplished here than I was in USA. Alhamdulilah for the gift of living in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, CairoWife, I wish I felt more like you do. It was hard for me to come up with 10 things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Mona at your last comment haha! Me too, I can find some things, but I would really have to search.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See!! There's always positives! Really, the US isn't all great anyways! I'd switch you places if you would throw an ice cream maker into the deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

    Tabarak'Allah, that's a wonderful list!

    Wa'alaykum as-salaam
    Love Farhana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well.. I am sure if you looked deeper and had more time you have a longer list! Generally It is nice to see that you are adopting and trying to work around the mess in here!!

    Believe me some Egyptian-Egyptian are having more troubles than you do and can't even relate to the country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muslimahh, you sure? ;)
    Sketched Soul, Thanks!
    GJoe, Yea maybe you're right, and it's true, a lot of Egyptian-Egyptians(hee) have the same feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Salaam!!

    Yay Mamamona!! That's great that you came up with ten! And true the hijab look. I have to admit, hajibi-friendly clothes are great here.
    And I read that comment with the paper bag.. I have a bad feeling about the staples, but I think I'll give it a go =P

    S&S

    ReplyDelete
  12. yea. The scarf variety is indeed a plus alhamdulillah. Thanks S & S!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!