October 11, 2008

Girlfriends

Girlfriends are important, more important than we than you think. I recently listened to a podcast about it and it really got me thinking about it. Our girlfriends are vital! Good girlfriends that is. We all know some toxic people, and that, we don't need. What we do need is a great girlfriend or a group of girlfriends that are always there for us.

I don't mean to discount the men in our lives. They are our partners, lovers and fathers to our children, and while they can also be our friends, they are in a different category. All of that "men are from Mars, women are from Venus" stuff is true. Although men meet many needs in our lives they don't meet all of our needs. No man can be replace your girlfriends.

Girlfriends are essential to our well being. They understand when we are feeling sad or crabby and don't try to fix it. They listen and sympathize. They know how it feels when you've had a fight with your husband, or you are worried about how your kids are turning out. They can appreciate a good chick flick or a great book with you. Your girlfriends will be there when you call at any time. You can bounce ideas off them, celebrate, laugh, cry or laugh till you cry, and just be yourself with them. A good girlfriend will tell you when you have something in your teeth or toilet paper on your shoes. They will watch your kids, help with the dishes after a big dinner party. Girlfriends don't compete and they are honest. They won't always tell you you're right, and you love them for it.
Call her up, and have some tea or coffee together, it's good for you! There have been studies that show that when girlfriends get together, our stress levels are lowered and our self esteem gets higher! So we really have to make time for our girlfriends, for them, for us and for the good of womankind!

19 comments:

  1. here here.. totally agree sis :) nicely said masha'allah

    ReplyDelete
  2. girlfriends are essential in our lives. oh god, what could we do without them?!

    i loved when you said that "They understand when we are feeling sad or crabby and don't try to fix it." you are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post!
    Lately, I've been so disconnected with my grilfriends, and just want a new set of friends. I suppose, that friends can be like that sometimes.
    But your post highlighted the beauty of having these special girls in our lives.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, AAmmena.

    It's true Living Away, men always mean well but sometimes we just want to be validated and heard.

    hfm, thanks, I guess there is a certain ebb and flow with friends sometimes, I hope you can reconnect or meet some great new women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a touching post, even though I am a guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww, this makes me wish we were girlfriends! especially since my best friend is in classes all day/busy with her family all weekend and my othe rbest friend (my Big Sis) lives 2 hours away. we talk on the phone every day, but that's nothing like looking at each other over the rim of a coffee cup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shawna, we can still be online girlfriends;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:44 PM

    awwww...how nice... its quite sad for a girl that lives a life without girl freinds....THEY ARE A MUST-HAVE! i feel kinda bad for the ladies in Palestine and other countries that live alone..i am sure their life would be much better and their self esteem would be much higher. Anyways thanks for bringing up that topic!! From now on im gonna spend more quality time with my girlfriends. and your right their isnt one man more important than your girlfireinds.
    Thanks,
    Sadia Kamran,<3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadia, Good point. I hope those women have a chance to meet sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. last time i met my girlfriends one of them gave me this wonderful flu gift
    *blows nose turns on vacuum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:47 PM

    hahaha dino$ ...there are those funy times we get ino with freinds. and thats what inside jokes are for..lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha Dino & anon, yea you'll laugh about it later!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks mona, for reminding how many friends I DON'T have!!! :) Just kidding...kind of... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I miss my girlfriends :-( they are in a different country and I haven't yet managed to find ones that are even remotely as fun as them where I live now. I totally get what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post .... and very true .... You r right we can be online girlfriend's .....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw Muslimahh, One is enough. I'm your friend!

    Jessyz, I know how that is, It was really hard for me when we first moved here, I hope you meet some friends soon jess.

    MsUnique, of course, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post! This was so right on! I think I would not be who I am today if it wasn't for my girlfriends. We not only know how to listen, we give each other strength! Thank you for writing this Sister!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!