August 23, 2008

What I Did on my Summer Vacation



So, Alhamdullilah, my family including us, mom, sister and brother and their families all spent a few days at a beautiful resort near here this summer, and it was great. I mean really fantastic. All my favorite people, sun, the sea, laughs and a great buffet...what could be better? It was seriously the best time I've had in a long time. We went swimming each day and the water was beautiful. The only downside was a bit of unnecessary nekkidness. After the initial horror we just kept to our area and learned to look away. The kids frolicked in the pool with E and got very tan, despite sunscreen. (It annoyed me when friends thought it was "a shame" when we got back, you know the whole "white is right" thing)
The waiters in Egypt in general, they don't get the concept of ice in your drink. We'd ask for ice water or ice in our Bebsi, and they'd bring us one cup of us for us all to share. They had a ice maker so there wasn't a shortage but we decided ice cold drinks must be an American thing. The food was great and the rooms were nice. I even got a glorious women only spa afternoon. Le sigh.

The seashell souvenir Salwa found me.

But for those few days? Been stared at more than all my life combined, and I have been stared at, a lot. Because of the hijab and all. Serious, we were the only "locals" there and the rest of the guests were all Polish, German and Russian. They would unabashedly just follow you with thier eyes everywhere you go. All day. No lie. It started to be funny after a while. I'd smile and say "Hello!" which brought a look of bewilderment to most faces. She speaks! When we went swimming fully clothed where all were bikini clad or topless, we were like a tourist attraction. It was so constant, to the point where, while lying in bed before falling asleep, I'd feel eyes on me. You know? Like vertigo! Alhamdulillah, it was more interesting than annoying though. It was a wonderful few days. Hanging out with my sister, brother and sister in law, and the kids...good times. Looking forward to next year guys!

6 comments:

  1. Do you live in Egypt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A women only spa afternoon??? OHHH MYYYY GOOOSH! I'm sooooo jealous! And I think its hilarious all the people were staring at you guys!! LOL!! They probably thought you guys were crazy swimming in all your clothes!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, it was surreal, and so worth it. It was funny for sure, Muslimahh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Your blog reminded me how much fun we had Mona. You described it perfectly. It was really nice and a much needed retreat from all the hustle and bustle. Lets start planning for next year! Love Eman

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEA! I'm there, Woot! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!