March 6, 2008

Recipe time!



One of my favoritest things to make, an Egyptian dish, kind of a casserole, Macarona Bechamel..It's easy and comfort food.


-One bag of penne or ziti pasta, cook and drain.
-Meanwhile, dice a medium onion and saute in a tiny bit of oil and then brown 1/2 a LB of ground beef with it.
-Add one can of tomato sauce or a few table spoons of tomato paste and a little water, let it all simmer for 5-7 minutes, don't let it dry out.
-In your casserole dish (I use 9x13) brush with some butter or shortening.
-Put half the pasta on the bottom of the pan, then spread in the ground beef/sauce mixture, then layer the rest of the pasta on top.

Bechamel sauce...now they have this instant mix that I just add to the milk and wisk but here's the old school way.
3 tablespoons butter
4 heaping tablespoons flour
3 cups cold milk
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter over a low flame.
Add the flour and mix with whisk, until it becomes a yellow color.
Remove from the heat and add milk slowly while whisking.
Return to the heat and add salt and pepper to taste,
whisk constantly to prevent it from getting lumpy until it's like thick as a milkshake.

Then pour the bechamel over your casserole evenly and kinda bang it on the counter to get it in the nooks an crannies.
Bake at 350 in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes, the top should get brown, if not turn on the broiler for a minute but keep an eye on it or it'll be black.
Let it cool a bit before cutting it so it comes out in squares.

The same recipe can be used with cooked zucchini and it's really good. I hope it made sense..ask me if it doesn't?

16 comments:

  1. Whenever I make this dish, it never sticks. Maybe the secret is to make more bachamel and mix the pasta with some of it before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Also, my mother adds 2 cloves for flavor in the ground beef mix. She also adds bay leaves and chicken bullion to the bachemal sauce. It gives it a yummy flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Organic, that might just work! I find that the banging of the pan on the counter forces some bechamel down in there, also cooling it a bit helps. I love the additions you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:57 PM

    Asalamu alaikum,Sister,I do not remember there being tomato in this dish.Are there many variations to this dish?Maybe every woman makes it the way she likes.Bachamel was one of my many favorite dishes to eat when living in Alexandria before i got married.To an Algerian.So no bachamel for me anymore.Eat some for me please!!!! Umasiya

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum,yum,yum! cant wait to make this!And i think ill add the bay leaves and boulion that organic suggested :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Organic, what you are describing is how I make it. I mix the macaroni with like 3/4 of the bechamel (which I made with maggie bouillon in the water) then I take the remaining sauce and mix in an egg then spread it over the top of the whole thing. I also don't put tomato and I use a little bit of the seven spices mix in the beef. Plus I use lots of beef because that's how the family likes it. We serve the leftovers with a tomato sauce (if there are left overs!LOL)

    MMMMMMM, sounds like tonight's dinner might be oven macaroni!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umasiya, I've seen it made without sauce in the beef a few times, I've even seen it made with spaghetti.

    Miss, I'm adding them too next time..I have some zucchini that I'll make instead of pasta, inshaAllah.

    UmmLayla, That sounds goooood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very similar to Lasagna to me .... !!!

    Maryam

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you!!!

    This will come in very handy when I move to egypt inshAllah and have to start cooking *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you!!!

    This will come in very handy when I move to egypt inshAllah and have to start cooking *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:04 AM

    salaam, hey can you tell me how to make this with kusa i can't seem to get it to come out right.the bechamel always breaks down and well it's not a pretty sight. i don't know what im doing wrong. and what to eat it with, roz bi shaaria? hala

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey salam Hala, When I make it with Kosa, We do eat it with roz bil sharaya...I use the Maggi brand beshamell mix, that comes out good, maybe try cooking the beshamel till it's thicker and be sure to let it cool well or it falls apart....The important thing is the taste anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Esalaamu Aleikoum and saha saimkoum!

    Love your blog ... including recipe section. Will linking you if it's OK ... alot great info here!

    Love from Algeria, Henia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Henia!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jaz, no problem, Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!