January 25, 2008

Weekly Groceries Around The World

My sister sent me this in an email forward. I'm not usually a fan of forwards but I found this simply fascinating. What do you eat in a week?

Hungry Planet: What The World Eats. Photographer Peter Menzel and writer Faith D’Aluisio traveled the world, had dinner with 30 families in 24 countries, from Darfur to Japan to Germany. They discovered who eats what for how much. Below are some photos of some of the families surrounded by a week’s worth of groceries.


Japan: The Ukita family of Kodaira City
Food expenditure for one week: 37,699 Yen or $317.25


Italy: The Manzo family of Sicily
Food expenditure for one week: 214.36 Euros or $260.11


Germany: The Melander family of Bargteheide
Food expenditure for one week: 375.39 Euros or $500.07


United States: The Revis family of North Carolina
Food expenditure for one week: $341.98


Mexico: The Casales family of Cuernavaca
Food expenditure for one week: 1,862.78 Mexican Pesos or $189.09


Poland: The Sobczynscy family of Konstancin-Jeziorna
Food expenditure for one week: 582.48 Zlotys or $151.27



Egypt: The Ahmed family of Cairo
Food expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53


Ecuador: The Ayme family of Tingo
Food expenditure for one week: $31.55


Bhutan: The Namgay family of Shingkhey Village
Food expenditure for one week: 224.93 ngultrum or $5.03


Chad: The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp
Food expenditure for one week: 685 CFA Francs or $1.23



I love the family from Ecuador, all smiles! I noticed the richer countries have more processed foods as opposed to fresh fruits and veg. We spend more than the Egypt family even though we are half that many people because we are accustomed to some convenience foods and we live in a touristy ($) city. What do you think?

15 comments:

  1. I had read a book by those same authors called women around the world.I liked it alot,very interesting.Looks like I might have to look into this one too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryam10:37 PM

    Oh My Goodness ...... !!!!!

    I wonder how can they eat so much .... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zainab, I'm going to look that up!

    Maryam, It does look like a whole lot, I wonder how it would look if we did a spread like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's an interesting thing to think about. I wonder how it really plays out if you average the nations as a whole. I mean I know people here in Laramie don't spend anywhere near that 341... But people here are pretty poor. I know people who live on the food they can get from thier work as spoilage... But then they drive a new ford f150, go figure. We also have over 40% recieving government assistance:P And yet no one wants to get up in the AM and do delivery job my husband hires for... Humph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, UmmLayla, I know there are people who spend rediculous amounts on food shopping and some who pay way less that 341, but I guess that's the middle ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol @ the Egyptian family! $68 for 12 people.

    I love the fake Italian villa scene wallpaper in the background. It must be vogue because I found one in almost every flat I went to in Cairo.

    This is amazing. I try to think about how much I pay for groceries a week... There would be a lot of lean cuisines on my table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly, I thought that was noteworthy as well re: the Egyptian family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!
    this is quite informative...such huge discrepancies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That it is henmen, thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That was quite a visual impact! Jazakallahakhair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, it sure is UmmYehiya, Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How interesting. I almost never pass along the stuff people forward to me because they are dumb, urban legends or just too cutsy to bare, but this one is really worth sharing. If they did my family, there would be a huge pile of bread in the middle of the table. I guess Palestinians eat a lot more bread than Egyptians do.

    I just discovered your blog today, and I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alajnabiya, Welcome! I'm with you on the fwds.I cannot stand urban legends and almost always check snopes and reply to all with the truth...the truth shall set you free from FWDS!

    Mmmm....bread! Heading on over to your blog...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. janene6:16 AM

    I just want to reach into some of those pictures and grab all the processed crap and throw it out. Yeech. No wonder western world is getting F.A.T.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, I like processed crap. Seriously, there's way too much of it in Germany and the US.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!