October 29, 2007

Sibling Rivalry




What do you do about quibbling quarreling competing kids? They fight over certain couch cushions. They fight over the window seats in the car. Every thing is a competition. Who gets the special spoon at dinner. Who doesn't get the plate with a crack in it. This morning there was a nana-nana foo foo over who had more bubbles in their MILK! I know they're all vying for attention and each want to feel special, but when they start shoving each other, I have to step in. Sending each to different rooms/areas only postpones their bickering. Soon they're back to "She started it!" and "POWERPUFF GIRLS!" "NO YUGI OH!"

There are those precious times that they play nice, share and are "best friends" and I praise them for that.

I know my brother, sister and I fought. A lot. Over stupid things. But we get along great now, and that gives me hope that they won't be killing each other to answer the door when they're 30.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:08 PM

    hey asalamu alaikum, it's me hala:) that is so funny....sorry, but it is. it's true my siblings and I fought all the time too but now we get along great allhamdulilah. I mean there's no such thing as a perfect relationship but we're cool. I think the most important thing is for parents to instill in their kids that the sibling relationship is everlasting and to love each other. i don't really know what to do about this situation yet cuz i only deal with one...hudhud:) lol. anyway inshaAllah you will have as many peaceful times as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alaikum alsalam, Thanks for reading, Hala. I think you're right. I always stress to them how well Omar, Eman and I get along. It's always cute when they say they're best friends forever. Thanks for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Salams Mona, That was funny...What was so special about the "B" spoon anyway, I forgot... Goodness, I have a theory that as long as they know they share the same parents, they will squabble, fight, and bicker...The older they get, the more "varied the bickering becomes" sometimes its best to just leave them alone...Just yesterday, I was dead sick...wanted to sleep for 1 measly hour and they were having "my turn on the computer " issues...I told them they needed to work it out quietly or else no one gets the computer...It worked for a 12 minute nap.. I can go on and on about all the stuff we learned in college about problem solving with yc but when its your own kids, sometimes it isnt so clear cut...Sometimes I just think of how quiet the house will be when they go to school and that gets me thru it...hey whatever works...Eman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eman, the B spoon was the prettiest spoon of all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!