December 13, 2006

Back...Again

Hey, I'm Back again, I felt like no one reads this so I didn't feel like blogging for a while, but we got DSL now and I've got more time, plus I feel like it. If you read this blog, leave comments? Even just to say, Mona you suck. Thanks!

Anyway, not much new around here. Can't wait for the kids school break, I'm hoping they combine Christmas, and Eid for a week of or so, InshaAllah. I don't know if we'll go to Damanhour/Alex, but I feel like we just went.

I'm exited that we MIGHT get to go to Cairo next week to see 2 of my aunts and 2 cousins, on their stop over to Hajj. I haven't seen them in 4+ years and I'd LOVE to go, we're gonna see if we can, InshaAllah. Plus they're bringing wonderful American stuff for me with them so thanks and Alhamdulillah for that!

Anyone ever eat Pancit? It's a delicious Filipino dish my mom got from a co worker long ago and I am craving it. I made it a few weeks ago and the kids loved it, as did my neighbor. I had lost the recipe but found it on good old trusty recipezaar. It's rice stick (angel hair type noodles made of rice), shredded cabbage and carrots with chicken and green beans, its really yummy.

We got sugar cane last week and its more difficult than I remember. Basically you peel it and chew on it and spit it out! That sounds so gross. I guess it is. We put newspaper down and the kids had a ball. I guess it was fun as a kid, now it's just too much work. I might as well just eat spoonfuls of sugar, easier and a lot less mess but just as pointless.

12 comments:

  1. Sugar cane is a new thing for us.....in Canada, I saw it occasionally in little pieces at the grocery store....very rarely.....but my mom never bought us any. Here it is so common......my kids love it actually....I can't see why? After all the hard work of rippng off the skin with ur teeth...and the sucking, chewing and spitting.....? Not a ladylike thing at all! LOLOL!!

    I'm going to check out the recipe....it sounds interesting......so I guess u guys finished all ur mehshi, did you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh another thing I had seen as a kid but never eaten was mango.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. and figs...LOLOL!! STOP ME NOW! (and guava!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. meshi is long gone, but my generous food share neighbor keeps me from missing it and sends a big plate over at least every 2 weeks.

    I can't stand mango anything. Figs I can eat, Guava I'd rather not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:52 AM

    hey have u ever tried a fruit called "custard apple" it's so weird subhanAllah....i'll pretty much try anything if it looks interesting...lol
    salam hala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:10 AM

    oh is there a specific pancit recipe that's really good from recipezaar
    salam again hala

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only found one pancit recipe there, it's pretty much the same as the one my mom had. I think O will like it! I'm googling custard apple now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok I just googled it and they look so strange. Have you had one before? What do they taste like? I've never seen or heard of it before, it kinda looks like an artichoke a little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:57 AM

    Mones, I love Pancit too but I love your blog even more...I d like to write more often, but reallly, you are a talented writer and I enjoy reading your stuff...you make me laugh, cry and enjoy the unoticed pleasures in life that we take for granted when we are busy....Thanks for that! Love Eman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Eman!
    I just found the recipe I used http://www.recipezaar.com/25121 I think I'll make it tonight, I'll post a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yea! Of course I replaced the pork with chicken, that goes without saying right? I never made it with shrimp but that sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:55 PM

    luv pancit.....yummmmmmy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!