November 1, 2006

Breastfeeding in Public

I thought I would touch on this subject after a little situation that happened over the break, I'd like to know what other people think about it.

I was at Green Plaza Mall in Alex , in the womens room. There was a line of about7-8 people and there are 2 stalls in there. One stall was taking forever, then her friend said she was nursing her baby in there, but not to worry she put the seat cover down. There was no other private place for her to nurse her baby so she was forced to sit on a public toilet seat while people outside got annoyed. One old woman told the friend that it was haram and there was devils and the bathroom is a horrible place for anyone to eat. Others just muttered "haram" and sighed loudly.

On one side I can feel for the mom. I mean I was never one of those who could nurse and you'd never know it. I needed privacy. Alhamdulillah, my kids were able to take breast and bottle, but If I absolutely had to nurse I would have gone to the car or something. Maybe she came in a cab. I would say ask if she could use a dressing room in one of the stores but that might be embarassing for her, if the stores not all women, plus she probably needs a chair too.

On the other side I think what the old woman said was right. And yes the baby needs to eat but people need to pee too. There need to be places for mothers to nurse here. I think there's a mothers room in City Center.

This is a big mall they should think of these things. Not to mention this mall has been open for 3 1/2 years and the elevators have yet to be functional. Try a stroller on the escalator. Pretty dangerous.

By the time Salwa finished using the bathroom, the other stall that is, the mom came out with her little baby looking really embarassed after overhearing all the comments. I gave her my best empathetic mom to mom understanding looks and hoped she got it.

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame that the only place to sit down was a toilet stall (perish the thought). However, if I was a nursing mother, the kid started wailing, and the milk started leaking, I think I would duck into any toilet stall, despite all the moaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, what choice would one have? The kid is hungry NOW, and circle stains in front are not attractive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!